Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Atomduck
Thread ID: 1160
Thread Info
There are 19 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3876 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
do you perfer your fighting games...
Atomduck
I hadn't made a new thread in a while so I might aswell. Do you perfer your fighting games with either a small roster (Like Waku Waku 7) or with a large roster like the like the KOF games? Post your perference here. As for me I perfer smaller rosters because it makes the characters feel more in depth.

Carmen
Well it depends... I can't say I have a preference but if the difference is solely created by adding characters JUST for the sake of having more characters (SS Zero) then, yes, I too prefer small rosters.

Judging from your post Atom something tells me VF5 is really doing well for you right now ! Pfft

Throwen
I actually prefer more Characters, like the KoF Games, where I'm really curious to see how the different Chars are related to the Story.
But if it's like Carmen said, just to fill out your monitor with different Characters, I don't like it either!
hosting06.imagecross.com/image-hosting-11/7338AvatarBasara.jpeg

Raiken
Depends for me as well. A game like Super DBZ is great cause it has only the really necessary characters imo plus that game has a very nice, balanced system(probably the best DBZ game out these days).

Games like KOF though I like love the large character rosters although I suppose it only makes sense considering they're always team tourneys.

Guilty Gear is perfect example of a game that I consider to have an ideal roster.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

Will
Hey everyone if you're really interesting in trying out some Non-SNK fighting games but are similar in one way or another, you can try out the old DOS game "One Must Fall - 2097" by Epic Megagames. It is quite aged but this is what you do in it. In this science fiction game humans have discovered expensive tecnology with the ability to cryogenically freeze a human body and preserve it, slice the head off and insert it in a giant robot body. As a result the human is right inside the robot and the machine is the human, the robot being its body. Theses robots enter a tournament to challenge each other and determine who is the best. The first robot model starting out as the Jaguar but then more models developed such as the Shadow, the Shredder, the Katana and best of all the Nova.

Regarding playing the game, you can like in many games do low attacks and high attacks. You can also use combo moves to perform superpowers. What the game has that most games lack is stamina. In the battle stages there is an option to play with hazards (Just like World Heroes) such as Electric barriers, planes firing and so on. There are three modes to play the game: Single Play, Multi Play and Tournament Play. In the Single Play you can choose one of the twelve characters and get to know their lifestory and what they achieve in the end. I have a preference to Crystal but you may find Steffan comical. In the Multi Play its obvious what it is about. The Tournament play is the best, because you can make your own character, customize your own robot and fight against many fighters other than the twelve single play characters.

Go and give it and try and tell me what you think. You can easily get the game at www.dosgamesarchive, because that game was released years ago as freeware, Epic Megagames' compliment. Ya definitely gonna love it Wink Thumbs Up
Will attached the following image:
omf2097.gif

Atomduck
Will wrote:
Hey everyone if you're really interesting in trying out some Non-SNK fighting games but are similar in one way or another, you can try out the old DOS game "One Must Fall - 2097" by Epic Megagames. It is quite aged but this is what you do in it. In this science fiction game humans have discovered expensive tecnology with the ability to cryogenically freeze a human body and preserve it, slice the head off and insert it in a giant robot body. As a result the human is right inside the robot and the machine is the human, the robot being its body. Theses robots enter a tournament to challenge each other and determine who is the best. The first robot model starting out as the Jaguar but then more models developed such as the Shadow, the Shredder, the Katana and best of all the Nova.

Regarding playing the game, you can like in many games do low attacks and high attacks. You can also use combo moves to perform superpowers. What the game has that most games lack is stamina. In the battle stages there is an option to play with hazards (Just like World Heroes) such as Electric barriers, planes firing and so on. There are three modes to play the game: Single Play, Multi Play and Tournament Play. In the Single Play you can choose one of the twelve characters and get to know their lifestory and what they achieve in the end. I have a preference to Crystal but you may find Steffan comical. In the Multi Play its obvious what it is about. The Tournament play is the best, because you can make your own character, customize your own robot and fight against many fighters other than the twelve single play characters.

Go and give it and try and tell me what you think. You can easily get the game at www.dosgamesarchive, because that game was released years ago as freeware, Epic Megagames' compliment. Ya definitely gonna love it Wink Thumbs Up

uhhh thanks for not even answering the thread....

merlin
It's an interesting question. While it's nice to have a large roster to choose from ultimately the quality of the character designs is the most important thing to me. If I really like the characters in a game it doesn't bother me if there is a small roster. Breakers and Kizuna Encounter are two of my favourites and they both have a fairly small roster. Generally with fighting games I don't really feel the need to master every single character in a game. I just tend a lot of the time to stick to my favourites.

Will
[b]Atomduck wrote:uhhh thanks for not even answering the thread....

What do you mean not answering this thread?? Angry This is a topic about Non-SNK Console and PC Gaming, its perfectly relevant to your favourite fighting games. I thought this involved more than just SNK games. What's wrong with that? Do you like "One Must Fall - 2097" or don't you? :
Edited by Will on 28. June 2008 17:07

Atomduck
Will wrote:
[b]Atomduck wrote:uhhh thanks for not even answering the thread....

What do you mean not answering this thread?? Angry This is a topic about Non-SNK Console and PC Gaming, its perfectly relevant to your favourite fighting games. I thought this involved more than just SNK games. What's wrong with that? Do you like "One Must Fall - 2097" or don't you? :

No no, its just that you didnt answer the question about if you like either small or large character rosters in fighting games. The reason why I put this in the other games discussion is because Im reffering to any fighting games, not just the ones on the Neo

Will
In answer to this question I would chose a medium sized roster with 10 characters if its a single fighter game like Fatal Fury or 24 (8 teams, 3 players per team) characters if its a tag team game like King of Fighters (Oh I can't wait to see it on the Gotw). Some fighter games can have customisation on characters, which is why One Must Fall - 2097 would be a nice tryout, but I particulary prefer character rosters with characters with readily profiles because third person is better than first. I kinda misunderstood the title cos fighting games do consist of more than just the characters. Here are the statistics of my game genre preferences as well as fighting games:

Fighter Games (e.g. Fatal Fury): 75%
Platform Games (e.g. Spyro Eternal Night): 80%
RPGs Type 1 (e.g. The Super Spy): 47%
RPGs Type 2 (e.g. Avernum): 73%
3D Action (e.g. Prince of Persia Warrior Within): 75%
Scrolling shooters (e.g. Shock Troopers): 70%
Beat em up (e.g. Burning Fight) 68%
Puzzle Games (e.g. Simon the Sorcerer) 65%
3D Adventure (e.g. Escape from Monkey Island) 71%

Carmen
Haha, I used to play OMF as a kid. I remember trying it out again a couple months ago, its... so horrible now Pfft But I do like the music in a few stages.

garu21
i only care about gameplay Wink but... last blade 2 has a perfect roster Thumbs Up
[img][/img]

Powerwave
atomduck im with you i love about 8 to 10 characters waku waku 7, breakers ideal Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

LIFE_IN_2D
I am probably pointing out the obvious, but with a bigger cast comes balance issues and that is never good. Some of my favorite fighting games of all time (ss2, lb2 motw ,MvC 1) have all had pretty small cast. On the other hand games like later KOFs, MvC 2 and CVS 2 I really enjoy also the selection is great but there are a lot of characters that are there JUST for fun and should not be played with (unless you want to get KO’ed).
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Carmen
Thats a good point there 2D. Though to be honest I feel that tiers really dont' make a huge impact until you're playing at a very high intermediate level at least, and that most games are more or less well-balanced. That said I think KOF evens out because of the 3 character rule... I've seen a ton of tourney matches and theres always a fair amount of diversity in the fights, as opposed to 3S, a game with a smaller roster, but only four characters are used in 90% of the high level matches!

Mvc 2 is a piece of broken trash but the top US player, Justin Wong, plays money matches using random characters, so confident is he in his ability to rise past the tiers.

And God-tier Ukyo in SS2 ftw Pfft

LIFE_IN_2D
I dunno Carmen to be honest I'm not all really that awesome at most fighting games but, it's obvious when a characters just plain-out sucks ass. The most perfect example of this is probably Dan, I doubt anybody looking to win a tournament would pick Dan. Although tournament players do play with other characters they always have their team of choice, which usually consist of top tier characters. So I believe that certain games really do have characters where not enough time is given to the character.
Another bad thing that happens is that programmers get lazy with a big cast… a good example of this was CVS 2 where OLD sprites were used… like Morrigan (she looks so fucking terrible), Sagat and Guile. Now take a look at a game like MoTW with a small cast, everybody is pretty well balanced and they ALL look fantastic.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 30. June 2008 18:24
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Atomduck
wow... this is a pretty popular thread as it seems Shock

Carmen
LIFE_IN_2D wrote: Another bad thing that happens is that programmers get lazy with a big castr30; a good example of this was CVS 2 where OLD sprites were usedr30; like Morrigan (she looks so fucking terrible), Sagat and Guile. Now take a look at a game like MoTW with a small cast, everybody is pretty well balanced and they ALL look fantastic.

Well Capcom is lazy in most of thier games. Have you ever seen Capcom Fighting Jam? It only has around 16 characters and it looks like trash. Pfft Makes CvS 2 look like a work of art by comparison.

And the old KOFs (up till 2000) had large rosters that looked great, so all you need it a developer whose actually dedicated to their product. Grin
Edited by Carmen on 30. June 2008 19:41

Goemon
I agree with garu21. For me, it's all about the mechanics and the options that the battle system offers in fighter. Besides that, the more selectable characters the better, as long as they're balanced.

A good example would be MvC, i adore the amount of characters in the game, i just happen to think that the CPS-2 engine sucks.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

Jump to Forum: