Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Zakatek
Thread ID: 1155
Thread Info
There are 54 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 16221 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
King Of Fighters 98 UM
NEo
Zakatek wrote:
The only thing that i don't like about the game is backgrounds. I prefer original backgrounds over 3d (like in dreamcast version) I think it would be better to use all backgrounds beetwen 94-98 or at least a few from each title.

Exactly, man i hate the HIRES backgrounds snkp has been doing....they look like a 5 min photoshop job....wheres the pixel love snk was doin' :( Other than that the game is nothing much but a goodbye to the "old" kof graphics style in my book. Hope KOFXII is really BIG.
NEo4LiFE

www.google.com
Raiken
The port has 3D backgrounds? I don't recall seeing any in the arcade version... Maybe they changed it for the ps2 :question:
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

Carmen
Will wrote:
How strange Carmen. What have you been eating? Don't you know that in many games like King of Fighters, Fatal Fury series (Not the first one) and Art of Fighting 2 you have to face your own self at a certain point such as King vs. King or Terry vs. Terry. I think SNK ran out of ideas and used clones to make the game longer. That is no excuse not to update the game and improve it.

I'm eating fine, I was just confused by your question... I've never heard anybody complain about mirror matches before, so I assumed you meant that the characters weren't diverse or something. Honestly I really don't know how to respond, I don't really take the single player game seriously, in my opinion the 1P game is there only to make time fly faster when waiting for other opponents at the arcade!

Zakatek wrote:
The only thing that i don't like about the game is backgrounds. I prefer original backgrounds over 3d (like in dreamcast version) I think it would be better to use all backgrounds beetwen 94-98 or at least a few from each title.

I agree, 3D backgrounds for the lose (still thinking of how bad Re-Bout looked makes me a little sick, haha.) Actually, I feel after '98 KOF backgrounds started to look really drab... there used to be so much excitement in the scenes before, and then in '99 someone brilliant decided KOF needed to be fought in a sewer. Roll Eyes Ever since then every year has been pretty plain; I also hope XII fixes that and really brings us back a real tournament!
Edited by Carmen on 28. June 2008 20:50

Will
Carmen do not take "What have you been eating?" literally, its a UK expression which in this case means "What have you read in the last post you didn't understand". I did not know you and everyone in the site calls facing your own player "Mirror Matches", I however call them clones for convience sake even if they were manufactured in a lab, not like the army of Kyo Kusanagi clones manufactured in KOF 2000. I don't have to take it seriously this clone business, but its a sign of lacking creativity in the making of the game. However I would one day like to try out KOF 98' UM when I can.

Zakatek
Will wrote:
I noticed there are some good changes on screenshots compared to the older KOF 98', but SNK still keeps the USA Sports Team and the Korean Team. Damn! I thought SNK would come to their senses to get rid of those freaks :evil:. Plus there are still clones of your players. When is SNK going to stop such crazy ideas? In Karnov's Revenge you have near identical clones of your selected player only their names are different (That is one brilliant idea for once).

I like USA sports Team and Korean Team. I think Heavy D! is a very cool character and Kim is one of the best from SNK. I don't like much the rest but they are ok. They should be in the game because Snk put every character between 94-98 in game. I don't think mirror matches are big deal they should be that way. Almost every fighting game have it.

Will wrote:
I hope KOF 98' UM doesn't have Rugal in it. It's very well that he's a cool and good boss to fight but after KOF 95' he is supposed to dead according to the storyline, and that is spoiling the legacy, even if it just a game.

Rugal in it Omega Rugal, Orochi and Goenitz are selectable too. KOF 98 hasn't got a story it is a dream match like KOF 2002.

Raiken wrote:
The port has 3D backgrounds? I don't recall seeing any in the arcade version... Maybe they changed it for the ps2 :question:

Backgrounds are 3d but they are not very good. Look like between 2d and 3d. If you played KOF 99 dream match (actually KOF 98 but dc title is 99) on dc you understand what i mean. I think it shoud be like this in the arcade.

sotenga
I like the Sports team too (partly because they're actually not bad fighters, and partly for the kitsch factor), but the fact that they made it into 98 and not 96's super-awesome Boss team always cheesed me off. That's why I'm SO glad that the Boss team has now made it into UM, and the bonus of Kasumi, Eiji, Goenitz, Orochi, and MANY alternate versions of characters officially makes this the biggest roster in the history of KoF-dom. Yeah, so, I can't wait for this. Grin
"Well, that's that! The exit's that way!"

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/dire51/moavc_banner.jpg

Kazuya_UK
Will, KOF '98 isn't part of the storyline anyway so it doesn't matter who is in it... it's a 'dream match' Pfft As for "what are you eating"... never heard that one... Pfft "what are you smoking", that's what people would normally say.

But anyways, I digress. I'm surprised the port has 3D backgrounds - are they switchable to the normal ones though because I was under the impression the arcade versions were just 2D? I'll find out once the damn PS2 comes back! Grin

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Hammermatt
i have to wait till february of next year for the ps2 na release, dang you! btw why do i really need to get kof orochi collection (94-98 for na) if all the characters are in um. plz give a reason for me to get it. =)

Carmen
Well, 94, 95, and 96 are very different games from 98. The game is system is drastically different and the art style changes quite a bit too... that said, if the NA Orochi does have 98 then I'd consider before getting Ultimate Match (unless you really want the new characters and mode.)

Bullet
Got mine this morning!!! Great game, it has always been my favorite in the series and now its even better!!!

Off to play again!!!

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/kof98dm.jpg
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

DestronPrime
Looking good! I'm personally getting both 98 UM, and Orochi Collection. They're both cool enough to own.
"In this world, is the destiny of man kind controlled by some transcendental entity or law?
Is it like the hand of God hovering above?
At least it is true, that man has no control, even over his own will."

roninbuddha
i love how they added Geese and "nightmare" geese

every kof game should have geese lol
www.filehive.com/files/080806/sgu.jpg
my artworks/doodles -> http://roninbuddha.blogspot.com

http://roninbuddha.deviantart.com
Bullet
I'm really surprised to hear that people aren't feeling the 3D backgrounds!? They are much cleaner and give added depth to the scenery, but are basically the same as the originals, just cleaner. I think the game looks great and you can select between 2d and 3d backgrounds, as well as original neo geo mode. I assume it has 3d backgrounds on the taito board as well as many of the other games on that board are 3d anyway.

I also thought 94 Re-bout looked great and SNK Playmore took far too long to step up and make hi rez sprites for their games. I look forward to KOF XII and hope everyone supports it.

I'm kinda surprised , Due to the site itself, how few people on this site seemed to pick up KOF 98 Ultimate Match and truly hope your copies are in the mail.

This is an incredible update to what was already a great game, so don't miss out!!!
Edited by Bullet on 08. July 2008 20:09
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Zakatek
I didn't know there is 2d and 3d backgrund option. :sweat: 3d backgrounds look cleaner but i prefer 2d backgrounds in 2d games. Maybe there is background option on arcade too. KOF 98 is my favorite game and now i have a good upgrade and arcade perfect original. Btw did you unlock secret characters? I unlocked all except Orochi Iori.

Goemon
Raiken wrote:
Course I already played this a good deal in the arcades Wink

Sob! One of these days... me... Japan. Anyways, i'm curious as to whether you've seen any really good players using Takuma? He's one of my fav. characters in 98 but i never see him used in any tourney vids.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

THX-1138
Bullet wrote:
I'm really surprised to hear that people aren't feeling the 3D backgrounds!? They are much cleaner and give added depth to the scenery, but are basically the same as the originals, just cleaner. I think the game looks great and you can select between 2d and 3d backgrounds, as well as original neo geo mode. I assume it has 3d backgrounds on the taito board as well as many of the other games on that board are 3d anyway.

I also thought 94 Re-bout looked great and SNK Playmore took far too long to step up and make hi rez sprites for their games. I look forward to KOF XII and hope everyone supports it.

I'm kinda surprised , Due to the site itself, how few people on this site seemed to pick up KOF 98 Ultimate Match and truly hope your copies are in the mail.

This is an incredible update to what was already a great game, so don't miss out!!!

If my PS2 could play NTSC games, i'd have all SNK's Japanese releases...

THX-1138
Seems like KOF 98: UM is doing well in arcades in Japan, if you click here and look to the left of the page you'll see what looks like the top five best earning arcade games for this month in Japan, and Ultimate Match is currently number 4.

Goemon
Regarding the bg's, i think that they've never looked better. When i saw the beautiful new sky added to the dock stage, i almost splooged in my pants. I really liked the 3d bg's on the DC version, so i guess i was more likely to enjoy the new ones.

This game... makes me... so happy *cries*

THX-1138 wrote:
Seems like KOF 98: UM is doing well in arcades in Japan, if you click here and look to the left of the page you'll see what looks like the top five best earning arcade games for this month in Japan, and Ultimate Match is currently number 4.

Awesome, go SNK!

I wish i could actually read what the other games on the list are.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

Zakatek
We'll see KOF XII at the top of that list.

Atomduck
Well, atleast I'll be able to play it since it's going on next Gen consoles.

Jump to Forum: