Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: bojo
Thread ID: 1139
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6937 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Art Of Fighting WTF!?
bojo
Why are these games so insanely hard? Even on easy they are hard. On normal, they are impossible.

Priest goes on about how Fatal Fury Special is cheap but, these games especially the 2nd one, are ten times harder than that!!
At least i beat FFS on beginner, i can't get anywhere near AOF2 on easy.

Shiny
Hahaha, I know! I've been playing AoF2 for about 15 years or so and I've still never beaten the damn thing. I still love it though. Smile

Raiken
Definitely hard but that's the case with so many NeoGeo games. The AOF games are definitely nostalgic.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

merlin
The first Art of Fighting game is generally not too difficult that is until you get to Mr. Karate. Then I start to have a few problems.

I totally agree about AOF2. It's really tough and I've never completed it. I can get to about the 7th or 8th opponent before running out of credits. Just curious but has anyone here completed the game yet?

AOF2 is a great game that's for sure and I don't really ever get frustrated with it. I've always thought AOF3 was superior but am starting to wonder now. As much as I like Kasumi Todoh, the character lineup in AOF2 does seem more appealing. It's a shame you can't play as Yuri in AOF3.

Will
I like AOF for its detective style storyline, but I still think its missing gaps in the plot and lacking certain features other games have but it is more or less fine as it is. I still think Takuma's mask is ridiculous and should be changed to something more Ninja Gaiden style except Takuma is not a ninja, he's just a Kyokugenryu Warrior.

Have you ever wondered why Ryo and Robert have to fight Takuma to finish the game? I know everything that went on. At the time Yuri had managed to escape from the Factory but Ryo, Robert and Takuma knew nothing of this. Takuma was in the Martial Arts Gym unwillingly training to find the quickest way and method to kill Jeff Bogard (Should be Terry or someone else instead). Takuma had to get even his son and friend out of the way to carry on with the plan for fear that Yuri would be shot. Meanwhile Yuri was running hastily realising the truth and trying to get to the Martial Arts Theatre in time to stop the these two. Takuma lost to both Ryo and Robert and they demanded to know where Yuri was, but Takuma would not answer. Just as they were about to kill him with a Super Death Blow, Yuri came just in time, unmasked Takuma and Takuma explained the whole situation. The SNES version of Art of Fighting is more specific in its storyline.

I do not like AOF2 madly, because the graphics slightly dulled a bit. In Fatal Fury 2 Andy Bogard looks a little like Geese. John Crawley and Mickey Rogers have been ruined from what they were in AOF1. Geese Howard in AOF2 you gotta admit, reminds me of Guildroy Lockheart from "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" (The book, not the film) with that 39 year old looking style of his and that lilac suit.

AOF3 I find outstanding. These are lots of interesting simple combat moves like bashing rapidly forward and hitting your opponent when he/she is down. Why is Lenny Creston called that? Isn't Lenny a man's name? Should have called her Amy or Lyrene of something like that. The scenes are exciting especially the Tihco de Mayo, Festival Streets.

If you're interesting I have all scenes mapped out on www.vgmaps.com Thumbs Up Wink Thumbs Up

Shiny
Will wrote:
If you're interesting I have all scenes mapped out on www.vgmaps.com Thumbs Up Wink Thumbs Up

Why don't you put that link in your sig? Then you wouldn't have to write it in every post.

Oh, and Lenny is a unisex name, kinda like Stacey, Sydney etc.

AoF2 is still my favourite in the series, AoF3 improved on balance and graphics but there's just something about the second game, something I can't quite put my finger on. The character line up is superb and although it's insanely difficult, with 2 human players the game really shines. Maybe it's nostalgia from all those wasted hours in the arcade as a teenager. I swear, back then the game was stunning. People would crowd around the cab just to watch others play. Often there'd be a queue of potential opponents. Of all the cabs in my local arcade I've never seen a game draw in the crowds quite like AoF2 used to.

Powerwave
big fan of all the aof games 2 is my fave despit its insane dificulty im with you merlin gettin to the 7th fight is my best, i likea nice challenging fighter from time to time

garu21
AoF 2 is my first SNK love :redface:

I saw AoF Anthology is stores but it cost almost 60$ :sweat:
[img][/img]

priest
bojo wrote:
Why are these games so insanely hard? Even on easy they are hard. On normal, they are impossible.

Priest goes on about how Fatal Fury Special is cheap but, these games especially the 2nd one, are ten times harder than that!!
At least i beat FFS on beginner, i can't get anywhere near AOF2 on easy.

I think Art of fighting is alot easier than FFS. Perhaps a different kind of difficulty, more challenging than frustrating as is the case with FFS IMO.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Shiny
priest wrote:
I think Art of fighting is alot easier than FFS. Perhaps a different kind of difficulty, more challenging than frustrating as is the case with FFS IMO.

Dude, you still not getting on with FFS? That's a real shame, it really is a true classic in my eyes.

I don't find FFS frustrating at all, in my experience it's a question of skill, timing and strategy. AoF and it's (first) sequel, however, are a case of being as cheap as the AI. Imo of course. Wink

THX-1138
I can get up to Mr Karate in the first one without too much trouble, but the second one is just insane. I can't win a single fight! It's not even funny, that game is torture.

bojo
Yeah i can get to mr karate too on AOF. But AOF2 is just ridiculous.
Its a shame because it has a lot of improvments over AOF1:
Better graphics
Faster gamplay
More characters

Its just a shame this game was forged in the firery pits of hell!!

THX-1138
That's right, it does improve on the first one in alot of ways, but it's too cheap and annoying.

Eggy
high difficulty in neo geo games=standard arcade logic!
high difficulty=many game overs=more coins thrown in and/or more different players=more profit!
card.mygamercard.net/DE/DerWahreEGGY.png

zockerseele.de.tl
Will
Does Neo-Geo ever make games to level the difficulty for a child +6?Puzzle Bobble, Blue's Journey, Puzzle De Pon, Twinkle Star Sprites and Neo Drift are all suitable for everyone, but they never make it possible for younger audiences to play in one or few goes. I see nothing wrong with a difficulty level straightforward, piece of cake and perfectly simple, although it would be very boring for older audiences. What many Neo-Geo games lack are bonuses that can increase winning chances. Such bonuses exist in many non-SNK games taking "Trilby - The Art of Theft" (Age Rating 12+) by Ben Yahtzee Croshaw for example. Whenever I set up the difficulty levels in fighter games, I don't see any differences apart from the fact that Level - 1 turns out to be harder than Level - 4 especially in Fatal Fury series, this is folly. It's like getting burned one way or the other by acid or alkine. I don't think Neo-Geo remotely care about difficulty as long as the title of the game is profitable and popular.

Hammermatt
after about a half hour of playing aof 1 (aof collection/ps2) i managed to plow my way mr.big, only to break the edge of my controller and quit due to rage. Ive played AOF 2, it could have been better if they didnt make the characters kick so insanely fast, keep it art of fighting 1 speed, anyway i got past king and robert and then i lost to kisaragi, at least 20 times, dont care for aof 2 that much. aof 3 i have beaten a few times, its not that hard. AOF 1 is a very very very fun game though, expecially multiplayer.

Will
I agree on that one Hammermatt, that Multiplayer is fun, but I am disappointed that it can't be all time cooperative. Fatal Fury was fun, two guys beating up an opponent (is it in the King of Fighters Tournament rules?) but alas you have to beat the other player after beating the enemy and you can never have two players against Geese Howard. I would like in Art of Fighting if the first player starts and if the player loses, the second player takes over. Such a cooperative system exists in Mortal Kombat 4. For example 1P versus CPU Reptile: if 1P loses, 2P takes over and if CPU Reptile loses, CPU Tanya takes over. I'd like that system to be in the Art of Fighting trilogy very much. After all if Ryo loses to an enemy in this adventure, why should Robert not be able to fight after, they are team after all and they're not searching for Yuri seperately or by themselves.

rainbow_bright
Before I got my neo geo, I spoke to an ex neo geo owner and he said that neo geo games are really hard. So this seems to be the conclusion reached by many here???

I only have six neo games, I've managed to complete only one so far. World heroes two jet.

THX-1138
rainbow_bright wrote:
Before I got my neo geo, I spoke to an ex neo geo owner and he said that neo geo games are really hard. So this seems to be the conclusion reached by many here???

I only have six neo games, I've managed to complete only one so far. World heroes two jet.

They are really hard. I play Samurai Shodown 2 on beginner and i have only beaten it once!!!

vincent_vincent
i find it amusing how most people find AOF2 very hard when its actually one of the most easy game on the NG , all you need is a little strategy with every character and your game will be ruined , almost straight perfect and playing against geese ofcourse .

Jump to Forum: