Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 1029
Thread Info
There are 28 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6056 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
PS3 ?
candycab
Just curious how many of us own a PS3

I bought the 40gig a month or so back.

Cant say im very impressed with it at this point, though as always it will take a few years for the hardware to mature and hopefully get better in terms of content.

What if anything are you guys looking forward to on the platform ?

Im most interested in GT5 and Mercinaries 2 and not much else really.

It would be nice if Sony would get it together with their online store , at this point its credit card support seems to be a joke [ doesnt work with 5 different cards Ive tried ] and there is no telling when the prepaid cards will hit the U.S. :eh:

I would like to grab the Judas Priest album for Rockband but the store sucks:(

So far all Im playing is the following

Motor Storm [ wears thin pretty fast ]
GT5 Prologue [ almost finished ]
Rockband
Burnout Paradise [ boaring after about a week ]

For the most part all my PS3 does is crunch Folding@Home constantly so i guess its worth something LOL

Any thoughts ?
Edited by candycab on 06. May 2008 19:07
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

priest
Own one 60gig, doesnt play it very often. Anyone want to buy it off me?

Yeah Im really disapointed with it, mostly because of the lack of good games to play.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
boogiepop
Well, sorry to hear you guys are bummed about it. At least you're not having to put up with the system failures that the 360 owners are. I'm sure the good games will start trickling in pretty soon.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

priest
Well I guess Im holding on to my PS3 until MGS has been released and conquered...

merlin
I don't have a PS3 and have no plans to get one but for those people that do own one I'd say you absolutely must buy The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. I play it all the time on PC. It's amazing in fact one of my all-time favourite games. (The same goes for Xbox 360 owners.)

Midian
priest wrote:

Yeah Im really disapointed with it, mostly because of the lack of good games to play.

You should keep it though I think. There probably will come a lot of good games for it in a year or two and you might regret it then!
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

boogiepop
Midian wrote:
priest wrote:

You should keep it though I think. There probably will come a lot of good games for it in a year or two and you might regret it then!

I'll trade you a one slot for it. But you have to pay the shipping for both of us.:twisted: Pfft
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Spooky
You guys don't like your PS3's? I love mine personally, GTA IV, Devil May Cry 4, and the soon to come Metal Gear Solid 4 are/will be amazing games in my opinion. Plus, the Blu-Ray player is a pretty solid addition to the system, especially if you have a good TV for it.

I gotta say, I've gotten the red-ring of death and had my 360 replaced once, no problems with my PS3 yet. Still, with Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, and Oblivion, I gotta give credit to Microsoft too.
Long long ago, there were a man..

Goemon
I'm waiting for Konami to create a new Suikoden game before i purchase a PS3 Grin

An exclusive PS3 Castlevania game would also do...
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

priest
boogiepop wrote:
Midian wrote:
priest wrote:

I'll trade you a one slot for it. But you have to pay the shipping for both of us.:twisted: Pfft

...Dont tempt me :twisted:

Raiken
I'll get one eventually. Not enough games out for it that I want to play right now.
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

Kazuya_UK
Spooky wrote:
You guys don't like your PS3's? I love mine personally, GTA IV, Devil May Cry 4, and the soon to come Metal Gear Solid 4 are/will be amazing games in my opinion. Plus, the Blu-Ray player is a pretty solid addition to the system, especially if you have a good TV for it.

I gotta say, I've gotten the red-ring of death and had my 360 replaced once, no problems with my PS3 yet. Still, with Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, and Oblivion, I gotta give credit to Microsoft too.

See, this is the reason that I don't have a PS3 yet... GTA4 and DMC4 are both available on the 360, and other games that would tempt me like Rock Band are on the 360 too (in fact Rock Band is a 360 timed exclusive here in Euro land). The MGS fan in me says that I will most certainly get one when Solid Snake arrives, but at the moment I can't see a single game that wopuld tempt me to buy one other than GT5 Prologue, but that's just a glorified demo really anyway so it doesn't seem worth it.

I'd like a Blu Ray player though, but to tell the truth I have a ton of WMV-HD rips on my pc (that play great and look great on the 360) that are tiding me over until I get one. They look almost as good as playing actual Blu Rays anyway, and plus Blu Ray discs are too damn expensive at the moment... I used to pay silly prices for DVD's back in '99 and I really don't want to start doing that again. I guess as the PS3 sells more and as HDTV's are installed in more and more homes (they are pretty much selling like hot cakes here right now), demand will increase and prices will drop. The HDTV thing actually reminds me of how long it took people to go from 4:3 to widescreen TV's back in the day...

So yea, I want a PS3, but nothing has tempted me yet. MGS4 will change that however.

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
candycab
I burned through and finished Oblivion on the PC few years ago, best game of its type ever Grin

Oddly enough I bought it again for the 360 just recently, really just for lack of anything else to play at the moment.

As for Blue -Ray the PS3 sucks ass as a player, overwhelmingly so if youve been able to compare it to a stand alone unit :( much like the 360 does for HD-DVD, but anyone who would have thought any different is a fool as its just one more gimmick to us to buy vs actually being engineered to be a high def player.

I was able to get a good deal on an LG BH200 combo player and both consoles come in looking about as good as an old PS2 DVD player in comparrison, in short its nice they can play them but if you are buying a quality display do youreselves a favour and buy a real player if you want an HD experience thats worth youre time and money.

I cannot stress this enough on larger displays like 50' and up, the consoles look really bad vs the LG on my HD-72 720P Projector, larger the image the more garbage becomes noticeable

Granted its only a huge leap on things like Planet Earth that were truely filmed in HD etc most movies that are repoped in HD arent too much better in terms of resolution and clarity.

I dont disslike my PS3 so much as I just wish there were better games out at the moment, I know that time will come so for myself Its a safe purchase Grin

I was reading on the Playstation forums that GTAIV is geeking the firmware on some peoples PS3's dont know if its true but pretty interesting and wouldnt suprise me a bit if its happening.

@Kaz

You guys have been way aheaad of us in the U.S. on the 4x3 vs 19x9 standard. Only in the last say 2 or 3 years has the 16x9 tv become anything close to a standard. Its sad that most americans would rather spend money on a TV once then waste the rest of their lives watching a cheap piece of crap that they bought 20 years ago, well most older folks anyway.

Once the tech phobes figure out that 16x9 doesnt just make the picture smaller they usually come around, but man there sure are alot of closed minded idiots here, if it wasnt what they were taught a few decades ago then they dont want anything to do with it or just cant understand it .... Hmmm maybe thats why I disslike most religious folks .. The epitiome of close mindedness in the U.S. and probably the rest of the world aswell :|
Edited by candycab on 08. May 2008 10:23
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Kurisu
Haven't got one...don't want one. I already have one next-gen console I never play. Give me Retro any day. Why should I both when I own all these lovelies;

AES
Megadrive (60hz switched - multi region)
Mega CD plus MD2
Master System
Dreamcast UK (chipped)
Dreamcast Jap
Saturn UK
Saturn Jap
Wii
SNES
N64
Lynx
DS Lite
GBA
NG Pocket Color (old and new versions)
PS2
PSP
PC Engine Duo
Turbo Grafx
XBox

oh, and the afore-referenced Xbox 360!!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

Powerwave
i never plan to get one the only thing ile miss is the next tekken i have all the tekkens so far i dnt want to miss out:( im not a fan of next gen gaming gimme aes any day Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

soul_reaper
wow i have next gen ps3 love it dang not alot of fans of next gen. Shock

Goemon
^ For me, it's not that i'm not a fan of "Next Gen" consoles, but that i have alot to catch up on.

For a few years i was only playing Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, & various RTS games. (besides my constant KoF & Gekka No Kenshi practice of course Grin ) I just recently played Shinobi & God of War for the PS2 even though they've been out for quite a while, and i've still got a bit more to catch up on.

I've also been playing also doing alot of research on old arcade games latelyl, and playing those. I'll surely get a PS3 but i'm in no rush.

Besides, it's a bit expensive right now Wink
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

merlin
I just thought I'd bump this old thread because it hardly seemed worth starting a new one. Anyway I'm on the verge of buying a PS3 and just wanted to ask some advice please. I've seen a Japanese white PS3 for 350 and am planning to snap it up. Although there is lots of info about the PS3 online sometimes it's hard to find the exact info you're looking for.

If anyone could help answer these questions I'd be really grateful.

1) Do I need some kind of cooling device? I've seen these for sale. I'm not planning to play for huge lengths of time probably no more than 2-3 hours at a time at the maximum. Does the PS3 get really warm? I don't want to do anything which could potentially reduce the lifespan of the console.

2) Will my HRAP 2 work well on the PS3 without any input lag? I realise of course I need to get a convertor as well.

3) If I have my PS3 near to my wireless router then will that be pretty much as good as using a wired connection? Do I need to open router ports? (I really know absolutely nothing when it comes to port forwarding, routers etc.)

4) I've never actually played online with a console before so was just wondering is there much in the way of lag? Can you play decent games with people on the other side of the world or is ping a crucial factor?

5) Anyone got Soul Calibur IV? I'm thinking about possibly buying it and would appreciate some opinions on it. I've still never played any games in this series

Thanks.

ROBOTRON
I have one, but I'm no PS3 expert. I finally broke down and got one for several reasons...I wanted to play online, I wanted a dependable "next Gen" machine (Wii is not next gen to me, its a Gamecube with a fancy controller...XBox 360 = Red ring of death) ro play games with people all over the world. Unfortunately for me, my fav games are shoot-em-ups, which are not heavily supported. I hate FPS which is heavily supported. That leaves my second favorite type of game which are fighters. Although there are'nt that many out there yet, it appears to be catching on.

Lag...with my 40G PS3 I have had almost NO lag, just a few rare occurrences.

Crashes...my machine crashes quite a bit, but it is a gamestop refurbished machine so maybe thats whats wrong with it.

I hope this helped you.
img213.imageshack.us/img213/7476/01hw6.gif
Fight Like A Robot!

http://www.freewebs.com/robotron
Zakatek
I have a 60 gb Japanese PS3. I had lags when playing online but my connection speed is 1 mbit. I guess there would be no lags with faster connections.
I'm using wireless modem and my ps3 is in other room and it is almost same as having a wired connection. You don't need any configuration to have wireless on ps3.

I think you don't need a cooling device. I was thinking to buy one after reading this forum i decided to not buy:
http://boardsus.p...id=2043269

Soul Calibur IV is great game. Has online, very good gameplay, beautiful graphics, lots of customizations etc. I'm not a good SC player but i think the game is good. Also if you like Street Fighter games you shuld buy SF 4.

Jump to Forum: