Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 938
Thread Info
There are 19 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7196 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Crystalis (NES)
Kazuya_UK
NOTE: This was a previous game of the week discussion thread!

Crystalis:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_168/crystalis_cover.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: RPG
Players: 1 player
Released on: NES

Also released on the GBC, but the remake is supposedly not very good.

Brief Description:

Known as God Slayer: Haruka Tenkū no Sonata in Japan, Crystalis is one of SNK's pre Neo Geo titles and is highly regarded by many, and even referred to as one of the best RPG's on the NES. It bears some similarity to Zelda, but there is certainly more to it than that. If you haven't played it before then don't let its 8-bit graphics fool you - it's more than worth your time!

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_168/crystalis1.jpg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_168/crystalis2.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_168/crystalis3.jpg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_168/crystalis4.jpg

Review:

No review yet, but here is a Wikipedia Info Page:

http://en.wikiped.../Crystalis

If anyone would like to provide a review, please let me know! Smile

Video:

Gameplay Video:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=A-v3QrZ6x14[/youtube]

Sooo... how far does your knowledge of SNK games outside of the Neo Geo go? I must admit that my first real experience with SNK was with the Neo, and I never played this game during the time I owned a NES in the late 80's/early 90's. I want to see what all the fuss is about however so I will be giving it a try over the next week or so!

Let us know below how you feel about the game!
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 21. April 2008 22:40
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Kazuya_UK
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I have never played this game to any great extent. I aim to fix that over the next week or so, as I keep being told it's a great game. Kind of tempted to put it on the NES emu for the PSP so I can play it while on the go Smile

Kaz

sotenga
... oh, man. Before I knew damn near everything about SNK... before I became a certified Neo Geo fanatic... before I played any of their fighters... THIS IS WHY I LOVED SNK. Really, that's all I've got to say about it. Play it if you haven't. Maybe I'll go more in-depth later, but all you need to know is that this game just rules. Grin
"Well, that's that! The exit's that way!"

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/dire51/moavc_banner.jpg

Goemon
Dammit! I just beat this thing only a year ago and you guys will have me replay it already?! Ok, ok...
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

Shiny
I don't know why I've never played it... But that's something I intend to change over the next week. Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Midian
Same here, never knew this title before but that video sparked my interest.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

merlin
I'm definitely going to give this one a try some time in the future. I've always loved Legend of Zelda and Link on the Nes so I reckon this game would really appeal to me. The graphics look very nice.

Shiny
NES emulator advice anyone? I can't be bothered to try them all in turn... Laptop's running a Pentium III @ about 500Mhz, 128MB of RAM... Nesticle I would guess to be the obvious choice but I'd kinda like to run it in Windows rather than DOS if I can...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Midian
I prefer JNes, Shiny.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Goemon
Midian wrote:
I prefer JNes, Shiny.

Yup, JNes and Nestopia are the finest around imo.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
Never heard of this game. I am horrible at RPG's so I dunno if I'd ever give it a try. The good things I hear though kind of make me want to.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

boogiepop
I really wasn't expecting much but what a pleasant surprise! I just started playing and so far, so good. It's a little hard to line up your sword with the small slime guys but whatever.

Okay, where the hell's this key I'm supposed to get? I see some guy sleeping and another one who tells me to "use my power". Big help.
Born to Die

boogiepop
Thought you guys might like this. It's a list of (what these reviewers consider) the top 100 NES games of all time. Crystalis places at #18.
http://www.sydlex.../nes18.htm
Edited by boogiepop on 17. April 2008 00:36
Born to Die

Ghost Soldier
Excellent Game

boogiepop
Is anyone else actually playing it?
Born to Die

Kazuya_UK
I played for a little while but haven't had enough time to get very far due to being back at work since last week. I have been enjoying it though - I really want to get it on the emulator for the PSP so I can play it on the go because I'll get more of a chance then.

I know I need to play much further to properly judge it though, but I trust the very high opinions you guys have of it! Smile

Kaz

valgalder
can't believe so many of you haven't played this gem in the past! I guess I was lucky to get this game randomly for Christmas when it came out, and played the HELL out of it. I still think to this day, that is my all time favorite NES action-rpg. I played this much more than either Zelda actually for NES.

The music, the story.. it has more depth than a lot of games at the time, and is challenging. I didn't actually beat the game until years after I got it, because I would always get stuck at a certain part.. back then there was no internet :-)

anyway, sorry to bump such an old thread, but just had to show my love for this game! Makes me want to revisit it soon. I wish SNK would have made a sequel and put that on Neo GEo or Neo Geo CD..

RiKo
i was going to say it doesnt look very good - that it looks like loads of other rpgs but i watched the video and it looks really good. i never had a NES myself so i missed all the games apart from the obvious ones. looks quite good Smile
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Bullet
I played SNK games on the NES and in the arcade before the neo hit.
Some of my favs from both NES and arcade, like P.O.W. Prisoners of War, Ikari Warriors, Baseball Stars, Street Smart , etc etc. I was always drawn to shooters and action games and SNK had some great NES titles.
I think I played and owned more SNK games back in the NES days than any other developer, with the exception of maybe Konami at the time.
Its been a while since I played Crytalis and I really should get it again someday.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Jump to Forum: