Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 816
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 17728 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Shock Troopers Discussion
Kazuya_UK
NOTE: This was a previous game of the week discussion thread!

Shock Troopers:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/shock_troopers/shock_troopers_flyer_thumb.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: Shoot 'em up
Meg Count: 346 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: MVS

Brief Description:

Terrorists calling themselves "The Bloody Scorpions" have kidnapped a scientist and his grand daughter, Cecilia, to gain the powerful drug, Agent 301. They plan to use this drug to condition their troops so that they can take over the world. You must choose from a team of eight troops and take out the terrorist group to stop their evil plan.

Often described as a "top down Metal Slug", Shock Troopers is often a criminally overlooked game. It might not look quite as pretty and be as well animated as Metal Slug, but it has a great style all of its own and is great fun to play. If you haven't played this before then you owe it to yourself to try it, although home console owners will need a convertor as the first Shock Troopers is an MVS only release unfortunately.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_122/shocktitle.jpeg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_122/shockintro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_122/shock1.jpeg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_122/shock4.jpg

Review:

http://www.neogeo...age_id=126

Video:

Valley Stage 1:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=cYxVePm3w6o[/youtube]

The author of the above video has more Shock Troopers vids in his profile, which you can find here!

Other media:

Stage 1 music from shock Troopers is available in the Jukebox:

Link -->

So, let's discuss this game in detail. Have you played this game before or is it a title you have missed out on? Do you have the MVS cart in your collection? Also, how do you rate the game for the era it was released in, and has it stood the test of time well?
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 10. March 2008 10:47
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Kazuya_UK
Had a bit of a blast on this over the past hour, reminding myself of how great it is. It really is a top down version of Metal Slug, and a shame that we didn;t see any more games in the series after Shock Troopers 2 (ST3 was rumoured). Looks great, has a soundtrack that is a bit different but somehow manages to suit the game really well, and it's a lot of fun to play. I also love the team dynamic. Thumbs Up

Can't really recommend this game enough, although it's a shame there was never an official home console release. :|

Kaz

Shiny
I can't say enough good things about Shock Troopers, it's a goddamn work of art. I still think it's the best shooter on the Neo (yes, better than MS3, get over it), and possibly the best game of it's kind ever.

The number of selectable characters, all actually different to one another, the number of routes through the game, the drum n' bass soundtrack, and, for this type of game, an alarming amount of variety too. This game has it all.

One of my favourite games of all time. Worth buying a Neo for.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

priest
I never thought that I would buy a MVS -> AES conversion but Shock- troopers was the game that changed all that. I will never ever sell that cart Wink

Especially now that I sold my MVS version of this game to Flik

Great game with all those alternate routes Thumbs Up

Too bad the follow up S U C K E D :exclaim:

If anyone cares, I no longer think that the sequel to Shock troopers "S U C K".

I hooked it up to my Neo geo candy...And its entertaining as hell Thumbs Up. Sorry you guys but I mustbe getting senile or something Wink
Because I sure donīt remember it beeing this fun Smile
Edited by priest on 16. March 2008 12:51
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
garu21
A true NEO GEO classic

merlin
Shock Troopers is a truly great game. I can't imagine anybody not liking this one. The choice of different characters is great, the multiple pathways are a very nice feature and most importantly Shock Troopers is a lot of fun to play. I would rate this game as being equal to the Metal Slug series.

I just wish they had released this game as a home version as well. :(:(:( It seems strange that such a great game was not deemed worthy of a home release. I've decided to buy the MVS cart sometime but can't quite decide whether to get an MVS to AES convertor or buy an MVS motherboard to use with my supergun.

priest wrote:

Too bad the follow up S U C K E D :exclaim:

Shock Troopers 2nd Squad is a fantastic game in my opinion but I do agree that the original is best.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Goemon
Greatest top down shooter ever created? *Looks at Neo Contra*

I think so.

It's been a long time since i played the sequel, i'll try to wait till ST 2 week though.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

Atomduck
Damn fine game... pretty much a vertical Metal Slug. Really colorful and still fun to play. Hope to get this game some day I've played it enough on the Enmulator :]
I wanna ride the King of Fighters Roller Coaster. :(

Raiken
The sequel's a pretty good game in it's own right imo but I love the first game so much more.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Ghost Soldier
Awesome Game

cthulhu
Well, what can I say about this game???
Great graphics, adrenaline pumping soundtrack, great gameplay and responsive controls, lost of bloody action, multiple routes to take, great cut scenes, cheesy story, a choice between a lot of great characters to play.
It's a damned shame they never released this gem for the AES (which is the only negative thing I could think of about this game)...what were the developers thinking???
A true shooter classic!!!
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Kazuya_UK
It's a shame there was no AES port, a shame we'll never see another sequel and a shame that the sequel we did get wasn't as good (although it's still a good game). I also can't see for the life of me why they had to go and cut the character roster down to 4 in the sequel and remove the team battle option... I actually thought that was one of the most fun parts of this game and it could have been developed further in a sequel.

Really enjoying playing this one again! Smile

Kaz

sotenga
This game is simply great. That is the bottom line. Grin

Seriously, it's like Commando and Metal Slug met one night under the sanguine moon and birthed a perfect child several months later. Creepy description, but I can't think of any other way to put it. Ninja
"Well, that's that! The exit's that way!"

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/dire51/moavc_banner.jpg

Kazuya_UK
That's a perfect way to put it! I think we may need a DNA test though - I think MERCS could actually be the father too! LOL

Kaz

phry
I think MERCS could actually be the father too! smiley

Either that or the milkman seeing metal slug behind commando's back (ok, perhaps I took the metaphor a tad far lol)

This is definately one of my favourite games on the neo and it's a pity that it didn't get as much recognition as other SNK titles - most likely due to a lack of a home version. Classic co-op shooter, multiple routes and so much carnage - the big question is what's not to like about this game?

Speaking of the home console thing though - isn't this game coming out on some kind of Neo Geo anthology collection in Japan?

Kazuya_UK
Holy crap I completely forgot that it was on SNK Arcade Classics... good call phry! Nice to see it maybe getting a little more recognition!

Kaz

boogiepop
I try to approach each Game of the Week as if I have never touched the game before but it was hard not to go into this one without expecting a smile to come to my face. I'm usually not a fan of overhead shooters but this one succeeds where so many others fail. I think it's because there's so much variety in the levels that you are never in danger of feeling like it's too monotonous. I mean, what's cooler than that motorcycle half level?

And is it me, or is this the only game thus far that we all think is awesome?

Metal Slug is a side-scrolling Shock Trooper.
Born to Die

Shiny
Pulls old gif from the photo gallery...

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_165/stroopers.gif

Goddamn I love this game.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Raiken
phry wrote:
[quote]Speaking of the home console thing though - isn't this game coming out on some kind of Neo Geo anthology collection in Japan?

Ooh I'll have to go buy that sometime. Looks like it's coming to America instead of Japan though.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Kazuya_UK
New review if the game online... game needed a proper write up... no, it DESERVED a proper write up. Hope it does the game justice.

http://www.neogeo...age_id=126

Kaz

Jump to Forum: