Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 780
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12526 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Baseball Stars Discussion
boogiepop
Note: this was a past game of the week discussion thread!

Well, it's a little late in coming but I'd like to present of next game of the week! This series actually started out on the NES and was considered wuite good and advanced for its time. Thus without further adieu...

the dorm fire alarm goes off. Talk about bad timing.
Okay, let's try this again. May I present...

BASEBALL STARS PROFESSIONAL

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/baseball_stars_pro/bbstarspro_flyer_thumb.jpg
^Click for full version!

Genre: Sports/Baseball
Meg Count: 50 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: Home/MVS/CD

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_13/photo_96.jpgwww.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_13/photo_100.jpg
www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_13/photo_103.jpgwww.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_13/photo_101.jpg
www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_13/photo_99.jpgwww.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_13/photo_98.jpg

Review -->

VIDEOS:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaUamxm2FNA[/youtube]

[small]^ Above video is now a video of the correct game (Kaz)[/small]

MP3's

Available in the Jukebox:

- Intro music
- Gameplay Music

Link -->

Discuss. Smile
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 19. February 2008 12:51
Born to Die

Atomduck
This was a solid Baseball title. I played this more on the NES and was always a good sports game. Its a shame SNK nolonger makes anymore sport games I thought that they were actually quite good. So, overall this was very solid but Baseball Stars II was a substanial impovement. Good Pick though.
I wanna ride the King of Fighters Roller Coaster. :(

ROBOTRON
Bigtime fun...me and a friend would play this all the time...American Dreams vs Monsters! Hitting homeruns was hella fun to watch!
img213.imageshack.us/img213/7476/01hw6.gif
Fight Like A Robot!

http://www.freewebs.com/robotron
garu21
ROBOTRON wrote:
Bigtime fun...me and a friend would play this all the time...American Dreams vs Monsters! Hitting homeruns was hella fun to watch!

same for me Wink

got more AI gifs??? LOL Grin LOL Grin please..... :|

merlin
Baseball Stars is a good game which is still fun to play today. There is quite a lot of speech in the game which is impressive (it gets on my nerves a bit after a while though). I don't find the game all that easy to be honest. The ball seems quite hard to hit and when I do make contact the computer player always has someone in the right place to catch it. Maybe with more practice I could get better. I suppose it would be more enjoyable playing in 2 player mode.

Baseball Stars 2 is quite a substantial improvement with better graphics and improved gameplay. It now seems a lot easier to hit the ball and I score many more home runs in BS2. 2020 Super Baseball is also better than Baseball Stars in my opinion. It's a pity there was never a Baseball Stars 3.

Ghost Soldier
I'm waiting on my copy to arrive from the U.K. Great game btw

boogiepop
merlin wrote:
Baseball Stars is a good game which is still fun to play today. There is quite a lot of speech in the game which is impressive (it gets on my nerves a bit after a while though). I don't find the game all that easy to be honest. The ball seems quite hard to hit and when I do make contact the computer player always has someone in the right place to catch it. Maybe with more practice I could get better. I suppose it would be more enjoyable playing in 2 player mode.

Baseball Stars 2 is quite a substantial improvement with better graphics and improved gameplay. It now seems a lot easier to hit the ball and I score many more home runs in BS2. 2020 Super Baseball is also better than Baseball Stars in my opinion. It's a pity there was never a Baseball Stars 3.

I think I can agree with you on every point. Smile Maybe after a little more time with this I'll have more to add.
Born to Die

Kazuya_UK
Sorry about the delay with this guys, had a very busy few days! I added a few bits to boogiepops post (video etc) and will get some mp3's up soon. Will update the poll and news too Smile

It's been a looong time since I played this but gonna have a blast later and will post again Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Sorry about the delay with this guys, had a very busy few days! I added a few bits to boogiepops post (video etc) and will get some mp3's up soon. Will update the poll and news too Smile

Umm, that vid is of the sequel. LOL
Born to Die

Kazuya_UK
boogiepop wrote:
Kazuya_UK wrote:

Umm, that vid is of the sequel. LOL

LOL! Fixed as promised in the chat! LOL My stupid mistake (made it due to rushing), and as I couldn't find a video of BS Pro, I made one of my own and uploaded it. Think I got the quality pretty decent on this one (for youtube standards), but don't expect to see any good gaming skills as I suck TOTALLY at this one! It's laughable really! Wink

MP3's added to Jukebox too! Grin

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 13. February 2008 00:27

boogiepop
I liked the side-by-side home runs. LOL Honestly though, I think my fielding might be worse.
Now let me see... BB2 had a sinker, right? I always hated that and it seems to be blissfully absent in this one. Overall though, I don't see all that much of a difference as far as the gameplay is concerned. The A.I. is still a bitch, yeah, but the game still does what it should with substantial style. Considering the original is cheaper than the sequel, for aes owners in particular, I'm finding this a very plausible alternative.
Born to Die

candycab
I still play it on a regular basis and quite enjoy it. The game can be a bit cheap and I dont like it when the game ends due to too many runs ahead of the other team [ some sort if Japanese rule ] but its still great fun to play.
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Kazuya_UK
boogiepop wrote:
I liked the side-by-side home runs. LOL Honestly though, I think my fielding might be worse.

I honestly doubt that! Grin I tried practicing a bit but I really just can't get the hang of the game at all and Baseball really isn't my type of sport. Don't suppose anyone has any tips for me at all though cos I'm determined to get at least a little bit decent at it after all these years Wink

Kaz

boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
boogiepop wrote:

I honestly doubt that! Grin I tried practicing a bit but I really just can't get the hang of the game at all and Baseball really isn't my type of sport. Don't suppose anyone has any tips for me at all though cos I'm determined to get at least a little bit decent at it after all these years Wink

Kaz

I think your biggest problem aside from throwing the ball to the wrong bases (more funny momentsSmile ) is your pitching. I'd try starting with the pitcher as far to the left or right as possible and curving the ball in or in and back out. Also try the up and throw one (knuckleball?) every now and then. Too many fastballs down the middle and you end up with those homers.
Oh, and spit some chewing tobacco onto the carpet - for authenticity.
Born to Die

Kazuya_UK
lmao... you know, my brain just completely fails me when it comes to doing something as simple as throwing the ball in the right direction. Seriously, if Pulstar made you angry, Baseball Stars has always made me furious (with myself more than anything) and I fear for what might happen to my controller! Wink I don't think us Brits were meant to play American Sports... I think I'm too brainwashed by football/soccer to get my head round it! LOL

OK Kaz... remember which d-pad direction corresponds to which base... you can do it... it's not hard..... :sweat:

Kaz

boogiepop
LOLThat's kinda funny. I was never a fan of watching sports and baseball maybe least of all but I probably played a bunch of baseball games as a kid and pretty much every old one has the same "right = throw to first, up = throw to second, etc" control scheme. I guess it just comes naturally now.

I still want to make a "pulstar: many deaths of boogiepop" vid if possible with neorage. Your vid made me laugh (make more! Thumbs Up ) but I think mine would leave you in tears.
Edited by boogiepop on 13. February 2008 14:05
Born to Die

Ghost Soldier
My copy of baseball stars came last night. I fired it up and played a few games. So many memories tied to this game.

Shiny
Hahaha! Awesomeness! I love the Baseball Stars games. Obviously the sequel is superior in almost every way but this is still a kick ass game!
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

boogiepop
Well, the Ghastly Monsters (me) took a devastating loss of 3-10 against the Lovely Ladies (cheap-ass A.I.) tonight. Let me know how badly you guys get raped. I still like the game, despite its difficulty, but it would be sooo much more fun with a human opponent... but then again, what Neo game isn't?

Also, is it me or do the players in the field move slower than in Baseball Stars 2? I found out real quickly not to chase after a ball. Just let the next guy further out nab it.

Oh yeah, and I think this just about blows the other two release games we've done out of the water. Yup, even Nam. As far as I'm concerned, this game is pure class. Smile

Okay, last last thing! I think if you wait to pick up the ball the runner will continue on, despite however ill-advised that move may be. It could be a great little flaw to exploit if you choose to.
Born to Die

Goemon
This game is decent, but i'll take Super Baseball 2020 please.

Ok, ok! Fine, i'll play it anways...
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

Jump to Forum: