3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 744
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8632 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Nam 1975 (past GotW thread)
Kazuya_UK
This was a past game of the week discussion thread.

Nam 1975:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/nam_1975/nam_1975_flyer_thumb.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: Shoot 'em up
Meg Count: 46 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: Home/MVS/CD

Brief Description:

A launch title on the Neo Geo, and one that seems to get overlooked by a lot of people. While magician Lord was impressive graphically for its time, Nam 1975 was noteable for a massive amount of speech for a 1990 title; each stage has a lengthy intro with a full voiceover. You play as either 'Silver' or 'Brown', the two protagonists of the game, and blast your way through a number of stages of side scrolling action where your character is situated at the bottom of the screen and the enemies are at the top.

As the name suggests, the game is set in the final months of the Vietnam War, with Silver and Brown heading in to rescue the rather hilariously named "Dr. Muckly" and his daughter Nancy Muckly. In some ways the style of the game can be compared to the 80's lightgun game "Operation Wolf".

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_80/namintro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_80/nam1.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/nam_1975/nam1.gif

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/nam_1975/Nam-1975.png

Review:

http://www.neogeo...page_id=83

Video:

Walkthrough Part 1:

(Contains Spoilers)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZr4jSPRdIY[/youtube]

Walkthrough Part 2:

(Contains Spoilers)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nw8h-YuwyU[/youtube]

Walkthrough Part 3:

(Contains Spoilers)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f0IBIbdrRk[/youtube]

Other media:

Nam 1975 Stage 1 Music Available in the Jukebox!

Link -->

So, let's discuss this game in detail. Have you played this game before or is it a title you have missed out on with it being one of the older titles, and do you have the cart/CD in your collection? Also, how do you rate the game for the era it was released in, and has it stood the test of time well?

Please vote in the Nam 1975 poll to your right! -->

Past GotW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 03. February 2008 15:01
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Kazuya_UK
Sorry for the delay in getting this going guys and girls - been very busy over the weekend! I'm still replaying Nam a little before I post much on the game. It's been such a long time since I played it, so I want to have a good session on it first.

Do like this game though, it's simple and fun, the voiceovers were very impressive for the time, although it does get a bit repetitive! Smile

Kaz

boogiepop
Well, I've managed to get through the first level without losing a single life. Only once though. Every other time I get raped pretty badly.
I gotta say, I kinda like this game. It's hard but there's some interesting gameplay in there. Too bad there isn't anyone around who would want to do co-op. It looks to be a blast.
Born to Die

candycab
This was the pack-in game with my Gold AES package way back in the day. I thik I spent more time playing Baseball Stars [ bought at the same time ] than I did with Nam, pretty decent game overall though.
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

cthulhu
First of all I have to say that I don't like this game.
The intros in the game are pretty good and I like the fact that it has an amazing amount of speech...although the "acting" though is quite atrocious (which I don't really mind, but I can imagine it might annoy some people).
The graphics are very bland and repetitive, even considering the game's age and there isn't a lot of diversity when it comes to enemies. The sound is also not that great it's really mediocre, except for the speech in the intros. The biggest letdown in this game has to be it's controls and the playability...it's just plain boring and repetitive, I lost my interest in the game extremely quickly (which doesn't happen a lot with me when playing games).
In the end I would have to say the one word to describe this game has to be "repetitve".
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

merlin
Nam 1975 is a classic game in my opinion. The gameplay is simple but a lot of fun. It reminds me of when I used to play Dynamite Duke and Operation Wolf on the Sega Master System. It can be quite a difficult game at times especially the last boss who is throwing everything at you. If I remember rightly you can't continue if you run out of lives at this point in the game. I have never beaten the last boss. It would be interesting to know how many people here have acheived this.

The graphics while not exceptional are perfectly adequate. Some of the music is actually quite good and of course there is quite a bit of speech which is impressive. It is probably not very important in a game like this but I do think the storyline and some of the characters are a bit strange e.g. the level 1 bosses (with their strange voices) and Dr. Muckly himself. Anyway I really do like this game a lot and will play it during the week.

I just wanted to say thanks to Boogiepop for coming up with the GotW idea and to Kaz for setting it up. Thumbs Up I never get bored of discussing Neo games and it's nice to read other people's opinions as well.

garu21
a great game still fun to play Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Grin

Atomduck
Ah... This here is a good one Smile. The Cursor thing surprisnigly works well and the graphics are primitive, yet nice. You can say that the music is alittle dated but your having more fun blasting away. I remember seeing the cutscenes. They were awesome. It was like being in a cheezy 2-star action flick. Shame though, I never beat it, Damn Dr.Muckley... :evil:
Edited by Atomduck on 30. January 2008 00:06
I wanna ride the King of Fighters Roller Coaster. :(

boogiepop
I'm actually getting better. I gotta say, the more I play, the more I think this game rocks. The gameplay is plenty fun (still want someone to be player 2 though).
So who else is actually playing it this week and is not just reminiscing?

@cthulhu - Maybe you need to give it another chance. I wasn't really won over at first either but a little perseverance has gone a long way. I can honestly say it's turned from an aggravating experience to a surprisingly enjoyable one. If you just don't dig it though, I can't hold it against you. Different strokes...
Edited by boogiepop on 30. January 2008 00:36
Born to Die

Kazuya_UK
I added music from the first stage to the Jukebox finally, sorry about the delay... had to grab the romzorz and rip it with Jukebox!

Been playing the game this morning and had another full run through. Been anjoying playing it, and although it is hard as nails at times, it's not hard in the same frustrating way as Magician Lord. Playing it again this week has reminded me that even in the early Neo games, SNK still liked to add in little details that other companies wouldn't always bother with - like being able to leave bullet holes in certain objects (the huge plane boss for instance), and during a certain boss encounter if you get hit with lasers there's actually different death animation for it where you see the players skeleton crumble. I know it doesn't sound like much but SNK always paid attention to the little details like that.

A slight contradiction now though; one little detail I did spot that made me laugh... is it just me or does anyone think they stole the grenade throwing animation from baseball stars? Smile In particular look at the way the enemies throw them, it looks like they are pitching a baseball. Maybe this was SNK's original cut and paste game...don't they ever draw new sprites? LOL

I do love the voice acting too, in true SNK style it's so Engrish it's just great. The way the main character delivers his lines in that deadpan style, you know he was probably just some random guy from the staff that they just got in, and he spent maybe 20 minutes just reading through the script. SNK have certainly come a long way with the voice talent they employ! Wink

Overall this game is a lot of fun, despite being really dated. It's been a hell of a long time since I last played this game but I'm glad we did Nam as the game of the week because it's given me a renewed respect for it. Boogiepop is right though, would be great to have a 2 player game. Maybe some Kaillera would be worth looking into as a last resort cos I certainly don't know anyone here that would play it with me...

Kaz
Kazuya_UK attached the following image:
nam1975_bad_acting.png

Edited by Kazuya_UK on 30. January 2008 16:59

boogiepop
I can't wait to hear to hear the jukebox addition. Sadly, my roommate is asleep at the moment so doing so might be a tad inconsiderate. heh Thanks again Kaz for putting it all together! Grin

I've never played the first Baseball Stars title but now I'm going to make a point of doing so if, for nothing else, than to compare those animations. A glimpse of things to come for sure. LOL

I've managed to get up to the conveyor belt level twice thus far. On the one hand, I'm hoping there's not too much more after that since I just don't think I could improve all that much more without putting some serious time into this game. (well that was a run-on sentence!) And on the other hand, I'm hoping there's still a decent amount of content left after that point.
As for the action, I've realized the utter need to completely rely on rolls. Honestly, I don't see you getting very far without them. Another thing is making sure the screen doesn't fill up with too many baddies as I seem to die most often when there's a swarm of foes on screen. Though some make say the game is repetitive, I can concede this to a degree. Yes, the controls are quite simple but the variety of foes really makes up for that simplicity (and honestly, are simple controls that bad a thing?). Sengoku 3, on the other hand, gives me more variety of attacks, but droves of the same characters.
I'd personally rather take the former.
Born to Die

cthulhu
Tried it a couple of times...alas, I still don't like this...it doesn't grow on me.
My arcade crap

Goemon
I remember playing this game constantly in a local arcade around the time i was first introduced to the Neo MVS. I think it's quite a solid game that can be pretty exhilarating when a personal challenge is made to kill all the enemies as quickly and precisley as possible.

I'm sorry to admit that i won't be joining everyone in replaying this one. Sure, i could use MAME, but a crutial part in my enjoyment of this game is missing without a proper joystick setup.

Btw, i agree with your comments about this game in comparison to the Sengoku series Boogie.

Great game, and great thread Kaz Wink
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

sotenga
The idiot in me thought that this game was honestly a direct sequel to the game Cabal at first. You could see where I'd make that comparison, right? Heh... anyway, I haven't played it in a while, but I recall it as being a damn fine game and a good way to start off the Neo Geo's career. However, the uber-hard final boss coupled with the "HAW HAW YUO LOSE WORLD BLOWS UP YUO AR TEH PHAIL PWNZ0RS" bullshit at the end really goddamn sucks. I am SO fucking glad that trend died out in games, because there's no greater spirit-breaker than to come so far and be denied your victory just because of a few slip-ups here and there. Angry

Regardless, the game itself is damn fun, and I WAS able to beat Dr. Fuckly at the end on my second try. I had to rig it so I'd have nine lives the instant before I was about to fight him, but I won somehow. Whoot.
"Well, that's that! The exit's that way!"

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/dire51/moavc_banner.jpg

Kazuya_UK
sotenga wrote:
The idiot in me thought that this game was honestly a direct sequel to the game Cabal at first. You could see where I'd make that comparison, right? Heh... anyway, I haven't played it in a while, but I recall it as being a damn fine game and a good way to start off the Neo Geo's career. However, the uber-hard final boss coupled with the "HAW HAW YUO LOSE WORLD BLOWS UP YUO AR TEH PHAIL PWNZ0RS" bullshit at the end really goddamn sucks. I am SO fucking glad that trend died out in games, because there's no greater spirit-breaker than to come so far and be denied your victory just because of a few slip-ups here and there. Angry

Regardless, the game itself is damn fun, and I WAS able to beat Dr. Fuckly at the end on my second try. I had to rig it so I'd have nine lives the instant before I was about to fight him, but I won somehow. Whoot.

Yea, Cabal was very similar... see the pic attached for anyone who has never seen Cabal Smile

I beat Dr Muckly but I was very lucky. I used the same trick of setting it up so I had maximum lives, because the first time I got there when I originally played it for the review I did, I remember I had one life left and died in seconds, and was quite pissed off Pfft. I don't mind games that have limited continues, but to let you use as many as you want (in MVS mode), and then screw you over totally on the last boss is just ridiculous. Smile

New game of the week up later today by the way, but this thread will remain active for anyone that still wants to talk about it! Thumbs Up

Kaz
Kazuya_UK attached the following image:
cabal.png

merlin
Dr. Muckly really is unfairly difficult. I don't think I will ever beat him on the home system. I have been playing Nam all week as part of the GotW and am really enjoying it. Nam is quite a tough game especially when you only have limited credits on the home system. I have made a bit of progress this week and without the memory card I can get to the boss in stage 4 before running out of credits. To beat this game on the home system you would have to be very skilled indeed. I am looking forward to the next GotW.

cthulhu
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like this game...oh well.
I'm looking forward to the next GOTW...it is fun playing and discussing all these games.
My arcade crap

Jump to Forum: