Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 64
This Thread Is Locked
You can not post in this thread but there are files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The King of Fighters XII (locked, use new one)
Kazuya_UK
www.neogeoforlife.com/images/news/kof_xii.jpg

In the next few months we'll be seeing KOF XII. This game is on yet another new hardware (Taito Type X2), and supposedly has totally redrawn sprites. What are your hopes for this game and what gameplay changes would you like to see? Who do you want to see in the character roster this time around? Do you think SNK will deliver well on their promise of completely overhauled graphics, or do you think they will mess it up big time?

Small video from the TGS showing just the logo:

http://www.youtub...2o2TpnpZdk

Personally I'd like to see a choice between tag and regular 3 on 3 options and improved animation (not just hi-res version of the existing sprites), and I want them to add Andy back in dammit! It would be nice if they had an all new version of Andy in a team with Mai and perhaps a slightly grown up Hokutomaru? I'm going to be upset if Andy isn't back in though... am I the only one who likes him a lot? :sweat:

I'm expecting a smaller character roster this time around due to them

Discuss! Grin

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 27. August 2009 23:00
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
candycab
Interesting, I watched a BBC documentry lastnight about Otaku and there were a bunch of KOF cosplayers featured on it Grin.

Lol I suck pretty bad at the KOF games myself.

I do try now and then though since I have 94 and 98 Thumbs Up
Edited by candycab on 08. January 2007 16:19

Daaren
NEW SPRITES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUST HAPPEN
but im kinda afraid they wont do it again, still hope tho
Keeping both the tag and the 3v3 would be cool, i'd like them to bring back also the Advanced gauge from KOF98
miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/Daaren.png

Kazuya_UK
Daaren wrote:
NEW SPRITES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUST HAPPEN
but im kinda afraid they wont do it again, still hope tho
Keeping both the tag and the 3v3 would be cool, i'd like them to bring back also the Advanced gauge from KOF98

They did actually confirm during TGS that it would be totally rebuilt from scratch, and they were aiming for "the ultimate 2D game". I know it's hard to believe because we have been hoping for it for ages, especially since they moved to the Atomiswave, and we keep being disappointed, but I think it's actually happening this time.

The only thing that worries me is that by adding new animation etc, unless they work hard at it, then the game might feel too different and the feel will be ruined. I'd rather they take the risk than carry on releasing games with mostly 10 year old sprites again and again, I'm just really desperate for them to get it right!

Kaz

Kazuya_UK
candycab wrote:
Interesting, I watched a BBC documentry lastnight about Otaku and there were a bunch of KOF cosplayers featured on it Grin.

Hmmm, would be interesting to see that... didn't catch it on the BBC here to be honest... might have to see ifi ts downloadable anywhere.

Kaz

phry
Given the specs of the Taito Type X board, they should be able to pull off something special (i'm not too sure about the X2's specs except an enhancement of this):

http://en.wikiped..._Type_X%2B
(wiki for Type X board)

imho, I think that series definately needs the redrawn sprites, as they've taken things as far as they can with the older and reused graphics. Hopefully, high res or even HD graphics can let SNK add even more personality to the characters, providing they can animate them to match, and more importantly, make sure that the feel of the game isn't lost. Hopefully, they'll give the development time it needs.

Maybe a fresh start, graphically at least, may draw some new fans to the series.

Let's hope they do the statement of "the ultimate 2d game" justice. Though my money's on that it'll be a great game, but slightly flawed given a transition to new hardware as the programmers adapt.

However, given that the specs are closer to PS3 / PC / Xbox 360 territory (than PS2 etc), I wonder what the odds of an internationally available home version will be.
Edited by phry on 08. January 2007 19:28

Raiken
Yes! New sprites at last Shock
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Izlude
I am excited about KOFXII, but I am hoping to see a good line up of characters. The one team I wanna see is -

[Fatal Fury Team]
Terry Bogard
Rock Howard
Duck King

I also wanna see an older Art of Fighting Team. I'd like to see Ryo has "Mr.Karate" in that badass black gi, the new Robert (He's a stud, even if he does look coke'ed out) and especially an older and slightly more mature Yuri, with an overhauled move list.

I also think a Buriki One Team would be totally awesome.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Hokageizlude/Stuff/sig.jpg

http://hokageizlude.deviantart.com
Kazuya_UK
Agreed, I'd love to see slightly older more mature looks for some of the characters... Yuri is a great character, but she is in massive need of an update, she really is.

I must admit I never did play Buriki One, but I like the idea of a team from the game. What were the other characters in it like?

Kaz

candycab
Kazuya_UK wrote:
candycab wrote:

Hmmm, would be interesting to see that... didn't catch it on the BBC here to be honest... might have to see ifi ts downloadable anywhere.

Kaz

Actually I got it from Google Video, I already tossed it and I cant remember what it was called ?

I found it under "BBC" in the 20minutes + Duration

Izlude
Kazuya_UK wrote:I must admit I never did play Buriki One, but I like the idea of a team from the game. What were the other characters in it like?

Buriki One characters covered alot of different fighting styles you usually see in fighters. You got your Judo Guy, Taekwondo Guy, Boxing Guy, Akido Guy, Wrestling Guy, Sumo Guy, etc. I'm sure Gai Tendo could form an exceptional team with two other Buriki One characters.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Hokageizlude/Stuff/sig.jpg

http://hokageizlude.deviantart.com
Edge
Actually, I hope (But doubt will happen) for a Buriki One team should include Ryo (as Mr. Karate), Gai Tendou, and Rob Python. I was hoping the backstory behind that is Silber refuses to join with Gai and Rob on a team and Gai begs Mr. Karate to join up with their team this year. It sounds strange, but this also gives Marco Rodriguez (Kushnood Butt) an opportunity to join the Art of Fighting Team.

At any rate this new chapter series sounds like it's going be even better than KOFXI, I really hope they polish up on the character's sprites but maintain the "classic KOF" look from previous years.

Kazuya_UK
Edge wrote:
Actually, I hope (But doubt will happen) for a Buriki One team should include Ryo (as Mr. Karate), Gai Tendou, and Rob Python. I was hoping the backstory behind that is Silber refuses to join with Gai and Rob on a team and Gai begs Mr. Karate to join up with their team this year. It sounds strange, but this also gives Marco Rodriguez (Kushnood Butt) an opportunity to join the Art of Fighting Team.

That sounds like a good idea, especially having Marco join the AOF team. I'm really hoping to see Freeman in KOF at some point though, he's one of my favourite characters and it's a crying shame he's only been in one game :|.

At any rate this new chapter series sounds like it's going be even better than KOFXI, I really hope they polish up on the character's sprites but maintain the "classic KOF" look from previous years.

I really love KOF XI, it's by far the best KOF in years. If they deliver on their promise then it will be superb, but I agree we might end up with an at least slightly flawed game, due to them changing hardware once again and supposedly re drawing all the sprites. Can't wait to see some real info on it though, and some screens/movies! I can wait though, I just want them to spend the required amount of time developing it into the game we all really want to see.

Kaz

Alec
Yeah, I fully expect XII to be GREAT! Its been a while since I've seen a fighting game with 100% new grafx, and its a KOF game at that!. I can't wait to see what play mechanics are involved in this game and who the lineup is.

I'm surprised its supposed to be coming out so soon. Coinopexpress said it was coming at the end of the month, though I'm not so sure how accurate that is.

Jak
Question: What feature do you think SNKP should add to this entry?

I think 'Create-A-Fighter' has been done to death personally. But, I'd like to see an RPG element that focuses more on just picking up secret characters and costumes. I would like to be able to upgrade moves, defenses, supers, etc.

Also: Storyline that differs everytime you play single player and dependant on who you choose to fight and who challenges you... maybe there should be a duel kind of match, where the first player to get the first strike in is declared the winner.

Kazuya_UK
In the home version, some kind of added mode with RPG elements would be cool beyond belief. Something along the lines of Soul Edge/Caliburs Edge Master mode, where before each fight you get a little storyline and there are different conditions for winning the fight based on the story. It could be used to flesh out the storyline a lot more, and I honestly think that KOF could do with that... most characters do officially have some quite in-depth stories, but how much of it is ever properly revealed in game? To know the full story you have to look up FAQ's and more, although they did try to flesh things out a bit more in Max Impact 2 with the unlockable profiles etc. Much more could still be done though. Being able to upgrade moves and stuff would be cool as well, but it would really have to stay in a special mode created for the home versions though, as it could potentially screw up the competitive side of things in vs mode (due to messing with the balance of the game).

Anything to improve the single player experience would be great. Love or hate the game, Max Impact 2 disc a very good job of having mini games and characters/costumes and more to unlock, so it has to be commended for that. I know for many people 2 player is the be all and end all of KOF, but for those of us without enough competition single player is all we have 80% of the time so it needs improving. We also need the game to be released stateside and in Europe much more quickly, and for them to GET NETPLAY ADDED DAMMIT! That would solve some of the problems of not having enough people to play against; it might not be as much fun as playing someone who is sitting with you, but it is still better than nothing.

Kaz

Jak
I think the RPG element would work in two player, you just list the servers as such. For example: A newb would not enter a server filled with pros.

I would think Netplay is a definite if this will be ported to the Wii (And it most likely will.

Honeyman
Fingers crossed they do the series justice! Even hardened KOF fans can admit that using the same sprites over and over will get to the point where you wonder why you bother cos it will end up feeling too much like the same game otherwise.

I mean, if they can do sprites like Oswald and Shion, do the same for everyone else and make them look ace, like as good as SF III: Third Strike even. I'm not too concerned about them being hi-res cos I think that like digital anime, they'd be masking the animation with "Looky looky, it's hi-res hi-res!" instead of making the thing animate well. There are good examples in anime of good digital animation but I am yet to be proved differntly as regards to hi-res 2D fighters tbh.

So, fingers crossed that the wait is worth it and it isn't just a case of changing the hardware like the Atomiswave offering ended up being!
Edited by Honeyman on 15. January 2007 23:33

Kazuya_UK
Agreed on pretty much everything you said honeyman. People have doubts about Playmore's stuff, and I have had plenty of my own at times admittedly, but when you look at some of the really good stuff they have made you have to be impressed imho. Oswald is a perfect example, as to me he is exactly the sort of character that the old SNK would have made, he's a great design and very fun to use. They are more than capable of putting out real quality stuff, it's just a case of them spending enough time developing KOF XII and not rushing too much.

Lots of location testing will be needed methinks, just wish it was possible for me to go to one of the tests! Wink

Kaz

NEO GEO DRAGON
After playing KOF 11, I'M looking forward to KOF 12

Jump to Forum: