Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: The Pocket Gamer
Thread ID: 5362
Thread Info
There are 5 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 418 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are 10 of your most favorite NeoGeo Pocket games?
The Pocket Gamer
The Neo Geo Pocket color has some of my most favorite games of all time. When I had to choose between getting the GameBoy Color or the Neo Geo Pocket, I instantly chose the NGP. The design was more appealing to me than the gameboy's and ultimately, I made the right choice in the end. The NGP was the system to have if you were into fighting games because it rivaled the console fighters and in my opinion, games like snk vs capcom MOTM even surpassed it's console version! The action games, shooters, and almost every game that came out for the system were jaw dropping good, but if you had to choose 10 games that you thought were the best, list them, and tell me why which one of those 10 is the best NGP game you have ever played. I made a small 3 minute video showing my top 10 NGP games, and I do not think my #1 would ever change in a million years. The link to the video is shown below. It is really no surprise what my number 1 NGP game is. LOL!! But seriously, guys -what are your 10 favorite NGP games?

https://www.youtu...utmTTQbWeA

YouTube Video

Edited by The Pocket Gamer on 22. June 2017 21:35
Geese

shion
nice vid

here's my top ten (in no particular order)
gals' fighters
it feels samey to kof on this handheld, but the all women theme makes this game one of the most unique and fun fighters on it
motm
lots of fan service to fans of both companies, the mechanics can go toe to toe with most of the console fighters of the time (such as those on snes/md/pce), lots of mini games that can go from fun to infuriating
dark arms
action rpg (a favorite genre of mine), think ghostbuster capturing ghosts in maze like areas in order to upgrade player weapons
cfc (snk ver. of course!)
a very addicting, yet very simple card collecting and battling game based on magic the gathering (and a hint of pokemon card game), easy to put 60+ hrs. in trying to get more powerful cards, like geese… note anyone that can’t link to another ngpc (loaded with the opposite ver.) will have to hex edit their save to get the exclusive cards from the other ver.
cfc 2
only one version this time and more of the same as cfc, but more cards plus a new card type which adds a new dimension to the card battles, unfortunately this was japanese only and wasn’t translated until 2008/2009
puzzle link
simple yet addicting block connection game, re-playability is high because there is a card collecting mechanic which makes puzzling all the more addicting
ganbare neo poke kun
this is an early genre-parodying game that gives a glimpse into japanese gaming history, getting ngp guy (the official mascot of the ngp systems) to work can be a chore but the player can go about it at one’s own pace, the game is definitely unique and experimental but not necessarily fun
neo turf masters (oddly, this game doesn’t have ‘pocket’ in the title, it’s literally just neo turf masters)
faithful to the original game which is good, it is a relaxing game that can be played at one’s own pace
rockman battle and fighters
2 games in one, unique and fun shooter-fighter hybrid with stuff to unlock
last blade
another game with 2 games in one, i don’t have a lot of experience playing this game, but based on what i’ve seen and what others have to say about it, last blade sounds like a very good fighter

honorable mentions
puzzle link 2
more of the same as the original, better visuals and more cards to collect
kof round two
it’s a really solid snk-based system (such as featuring the familiar 3 on 3 fights), lots of characters and lots of unlockables
super real mahjong (oddly, this game doesn’t have ‘pocket’ in the title, it’s literally just super real mahjong)
i threw this one in because i like japanese style mahjong, note this is perhaps the only mahjong game on an snk system that rewards winning with undressing
ogre battle
turn-based strategy games such as this aren’t everyone’s liking, but it has an amazing level of depth and offers 30+ hrs. of gameplay, pity it’s japanese only with no english patch available yet
pocket tennis
this is a fun one to play in bursts, it has 2 player versus but no doubles gameplay whatsoever

Edited by shion on 23. June 2017 18:43

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Murikov
I'd be lying if I was saying that I played through the whole NGP(C) library, but nonetheless the system has some really sweet titles.

My favorites:

1. SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium
2. SNK Gals' Fighters
3. SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash
4. Last Blade
5. King of Fighters R-2
6. Metal Slug 2nd Mission
7. Samurai Shodown! II

aaaand that's about all the games I barely played, haha. I didn't even make it up to ten. Wink

But seriously, MOTM is still pretty much the best the system has to offer. Personally I think it's even better than the other SNK x Capcom crossover games on the non-handheld platforms. It's just that good.

From several people here and other places I've heard only good things about the RPG-ish games on the NGPC, like Dark Arms or Faselei. From what I can judge they seem pretty outstanding titles for the handheld.

It's also a shame that apparently Windjammers was planned to be released on the NGPC but got cancelled. I can imagine it had the potential to be a 2 player party blast!
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

The Pocket Gamer
shion wrote:

nice vid

here's my top ten (in no particular order)
gals' fighters
it feels samey to kof on this handheld, but the all women theme makes this game one of the most unique and fun fighters on it
motm
lots of fan service to fans of both companies, the mechanics can go toe to toe with most of the console fighters of the time (such as those on snes/md/pce), lots of mini games that can go from fun to infuriating
dark arms
action rpg (a favorite genre of mine), think ghostbuster capturing ghosts in maze like areas in order to upgrade player weapons
cfc (snk ver. of course!)
a very addicting, yet very simple card collecting and battling game based on magic the gathering (and a hint of pokemon card game), easy to put 60+ hrs. in trying to get more powerful cards, like geese… note anyone that can’t link to another ngpc (loaded with the opposite ver.) will have to hex edit their save to get the exclusive cards from the other ver.
cfc 2
only one version this time and more of the same as cfc, but more cards plus a new card type which adds a new dimension to the card battles, unfortunately this was japanese only and wasn’t translated until 2008/2009
puzzle link
simple yet addicting block connection game, re-playability is high because there is a card collecting mechanic which makes puzzling all the more addicting
ganbare neo poke kun
this is an early genre-parodying game that gives a glimpse into japanese gaming history, getting ngp guy (the official mascot of the ngp systems) to work can be a chore but the player can go about it at one’s own pace, the game is definitely unique and experimental but not necessarily fun
neo turf masters (oddly, this game doesn’t have ‘pocket’ in the title, it’s literally just neo turf masters)
faithful to the original game which is good, it is a relaxing game that can be played at one’s own pace
rockman battle and fighters
2 games in one, unique and fun shooter-fighter hybrid with stuff to unlock
last blade
another game with 2 games in one, i don’t have a lot of experience playing this game, but based on what i’ve seen and what others have to say about it, last blade sounds like a very good fighter

honorable mentions
puzzle link 2
more of the same as the original, better visuals and more cards to collect
kof round two
it’s a really solid snk-based system (such as featuring the familiar 3 on 3 fights), lots of characters and lots of unlockables
super real mahjong (oddly, this game doesn’t have ‘pocket’ in the title, it’s literally just super real mahjong)
i threw this one in because i like japanese style mahjong, note this is perhaps the only mahjong game on an snk system that rewards winning with undressing
ogre battle
turn-based strategy games such as this aren’t everyone’s liking, but it has an amazing level of depth and offers 30+ hrs. of gameplay, pity it’s japanese only with no english patch available yet
pocket tennis
this is a fun one to play in bursts, it has 2 player versus but no doubles gameplay whatsoever

Great list! and thanks! I like how you could adjust the speed in gal fighters. That game is real cool. I want to own that game with the booklet and box, but it has become an expensive game for me.

SNK vs Capcom MOTM was my favorite of all time. I played the hell out of that game for years when I was a kid. I never got bored of it. There is always something new going on in that game... there are hidden features that I have just recently discovered. It's pretty crazy.

I put a lot of hours into card fighters, and I think it is still a fun game to play. And you are right, it takes forever to get a Geese card. I had to win that tournament before I went to Las Vegas. I wonder how you get cyber Akuma. I never got him.

Ahhh!! I forgot about Dark Arms! I never owned that game, but I have played it before. It was a lot of fun. I remember back then I met someone who had a neo geo pocket. I was the only kid in school who owned a neo geo pocket, but this dude in high school owned one too; however, he was in high school and I was in the third grade. We would always meet up near a bus stop. He was a nice dude. I let him barrow Sonic and he let me barrow Dark Arms for like a month. I couldn't beat that game! It was very difficult for me.

I just recently bought Pocket Tennis! It is tons of fun!! I was playing it for hours yesterday. It would be a lot of fun with a second player.

Unfortunately I haven't tried ogre battle too much. I have been hearing good things about the game though.

Turf masters was a nice little game. I love the original turf masters A LOT though. However, they are both awesome! The angry faces are still there when you get a bogey or a double bogey or if you can't finish the round, Hahaha!

Rockman battle and fighters is WAY too much!! BUT I have had the opportunity to put that cartridge in my blue Neo Geo Pocket system once. The game is super cool, but I am just mad at it for not having it and being so expensive... Same thing with Cotton, but more so with Rockman battle and fighters.

Card Fighter 2 has this cool counter system thing going on... kind of similar to Yugioh. lol you could activate these reaction cards.. HAH! It ccompletely threw me off when I was playing the game, but I love that game a lot. I am actually playing it right now; however, I am stuck... I wish I could read Japanese to progress easier. I keep getting stuck.

NOW ganbare neo poke kun you say... it sounds very interesting. I do not think I have ever played that one at all... I am going to have to try that one right away. It sounds very interesting!! haha!
Geese

The Pocket Gamer
Murikov wrote:

I'd be lying if I was saying that I played through the whole NGP(C) library, but nonetheless the system has some really sweet titles.

My favorites:

1. SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium
2. SNK Gals' Fighters
3. SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash
4. Last Blade
5. King of Fighters R-2
6. Metal Slug 2nd Mission
7. Samurai Shodown! II

aaaand that's about all the games I barely played, haha. I didn't even make it up to ten. Wink

But seriously, MOTM is still pretty much the best the system has to offer. Personally I think it's even better than the other SNK x Capcom crossover games on the non-handheld platforms. It's just that good.

From several people here and other places I've heard only good things about the RPG-ish games on the NGPC, like Dark Arms or Faselei. From what I can judge they seem pretty outstanding titles for the handheld.

It's also a shame that apparently Windjammers was planned to be released on the NGPC but got cancelled. I can imagine it had the potential to be a 2 player party blast!

Hey man, you have played the best of the best on the system and probably the best game in the world; however, that is just my opinion. haha. snk vs capcom MOTM beats the console versions hands down. Ya I mean at the time people around me were going crazy about the console versions, and so was I BUT I knew time would pass - MOTM would be the one I would always pick up and play over and over again.

Faselei was good, but I only own the Japanese cartridge. It was very difficult to progress in that game. I got that game at a local video game store that still sells the classics. The guy was so nice. He saw me staring at it and he just said, "Here you could just have it. You always buy the Neo Geo Pocket games."

Windjammers would be freaking amazing on the neogeo pocket!! GOD I wish it lasted longer to see that game!! I also heard that a pocket Magician Lord was supposed to come out for it too. I was so mad when I heard about all these cool games being cancelled for the NGP.
Geese

Jump to Forum: