Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Murikov
Thread ID: 4655
Thread Info
There are 14 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9356 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
The King of Fighters 2003. What do you think of it?
It has Ash in it. Begone. It has Ash in it. Begone. 22%[2 Votes]
Never played it. But it looks interesting! Never played it. But it looks interesting! 22%[2 Votes]
A hopeless effort by SNKP. One of the series' worst! A hopeless effort by SNKP. One of the series' worst! 0%[0 Votes]
Nice try, but nothing groundbreaking. Earlier KoFs were way better. Nice try, but nothing groundbreaking. Earlier KoFs were way better. 11%[1 Vote]
A superb installment, I still occasionally play it! A superb installment, I still occasionally play it! 44%[4 Votes]
The best KoF game, hands down! The best KoF game, hands down! 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 9
 Print Thread
The King of Fighters 2003 - Game of the Week
Murikov
Welcome to the Game of the Week!

It's common knowledge that all good things come to an end, such as the Neo Geo history of the famous King of Fighters series. For not less than 10 years SNK, or in this case SNK Playmore, continuously released one episode after another for the same powerful hardware we all love so much.

In 2003 SNK Playmore decided to put an worthy end to the Neo Geo saga of the series, but not before one final game would sound the bell for the last round: The King of Fighters 2003. In fact SNKP decided to introduce a tag system for the very first time of the series, which allows the player to change its characters during a fight. Despite the new changes The King of Fighters 2003 was actually pretty well received by fans of the series and reviewers.

It's also worth mentioning that SNK Playmore released the game on PCB boards as well in order to damp down pirate copies. As you all know it was piracy that caused SNK (Playmore) lots of trouble and missing earnings during the Neo Geo years. The same (more or less unsuccessful) measure was taken with SVC Chaos too.

The King of Fighters 2003

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20Fighters%202003/kof2003insert_zps7227bfc6.jpg

Genre: Fighting
Players: 2
Size: 716 MEGS
Released on: AES, MVS, Arcade / PCB, PS2, XBOX

Brief Description:

The King of Fighters 2003 is the 10th game in The King of Fighters series and the first KOF game to become a tag tournament. It is also the first KOF to be published by SNK Playmore, and the final KOF game developed for Neo Geo MVS and AES hardware, which has been the primary platform for the series since the first game, KOF '94. The game was ported to the PlayStation 2 and Xbox; both versions were released in North America as a two-in-one bundle with its preceding KOF 2002 game.

Screenshots:

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20Fighters%202003/03_zps66f02ed0.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20Fighters%202003/01_zpsc220c291.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20Fighters%202003/02_zps65f4d9dc.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20Fighters%202003/04_zps0df9164e.png

Offical Website:

http://www.game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof2003/english/

Reviews:

The King of Fighters 2003 review by Raiken
The King of Fighters 2003 review by One-Fu
The King of Fighters 2003 review by Cloudvii

Videos:

YouTube Video

High Score Challenge:

Come on, give the last KoF for the Neo Geo a chance and ask for a High Score Challenge! Just tell Murikov or Priest you want to participate and we organize it.

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->
#2 Nam 1975 -->
#3 Pulstar -->
#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->
#5 Blues Journey -->
#6 Fatal Fury -->
#7 Shock Troopers -->
#8 Sengoku -->
#9 Ninja Commando -->
#10 Ninja Master's -->
#11 Crystalis -->
#12 Thrash Rally -->
#13 Art of Fighting -->
#14 Waku Waku 7 -->
#15 Andro Dunos -->
#16 The King of Fighters '94 -->
#17 Nightmare in the Dark -->
#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->
#19 Zupapa -->
#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->
#21 The Last Blade -->
#22 Crossed Swords -->
#23 Cyber Lip -->
#24 Samurai Shodown -->
#25 King of the Monsters -->
#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->
#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->
#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->
#29 Neo Bomberman -->
#30 Metal Slug -->
#31 Kabuki Klash -->
#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->
#33 Mutation Nation -->
#34 Blazing Star -->
#35 World Heroes -->
#36 King of Fighters '96 -->
#37 Neo Drift Out -->
#38 Magical Drop 2 -->
#39 Top Hunter -->
#40 Savage Reign -->
#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->
#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->
#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->
#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->
#45 Super Sidekicks -->
#46 Sengoku 2 -->
#47 Metal Slug 3 -->
#48 Burning Fight -->
#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->
#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->
#51 King of Monsters 2 -->
#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->
#53 World Heroes 2 -->
#54 Last Resort -->
#55 Rage of the Dragons -->
#56 League Bowling -->
#57 Metal Slug 4 -->
#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->
#59 Puzzle Bobble -->
#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->
#61 Robo Army -->
#62 Captain Tomaday -->
#63 Metal Slug 5 -->
#64 King of Fighters '97 -->
#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->
#66 The Super Spy -->
#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->
#68 Ghost Pilots -->
#69 Iron Tank -->
#70 Magical Drop 3-->
#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->
#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->
#73 Viewpoint -->
#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->
#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->
#76 Beast Busters -->
#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->
#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->
#79 Ninja Combat -->
#80 Neo Turf Masters -->
#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->
#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->
#83 King of Fighters '98 -->
#84 Wind Jammers -->
#85 Samurai Shodown III -->
#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->
#87 Eight Man -->
#88 Street Hoops -->
#89 Galaxy Fight -->
#90 World Heroes Perfect -->
#91 SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom -->
#92 Prehistoric Isle 2 -->
#93 Metal Slug: 1st Mission -->
#94 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special -->
#95 KOF Sky Stage -->
#96 Sengoku 3 -->
#97 Ghostlop -->
#98 Matrimelee -->
#99 Ironclad -->
#100 NeoGeo Battle Coliseum -->
#101 Super Dodge Ball -->
#102 King of Fighters '99 -->
#103 Overtop -->
#104 Samurai Shodown IV-->
#105 Neo Mr. Do! -->
#106 Last Hope/Last Hope: Pink Bullets -->
#107 Pop 'N Bounce -->
#108 Crossed Swords II -->
#109 SNK Gals Fighters -->
#110 The Last Blade 2 -->
#111 Spinmaster -->
#112 Bermuda Triangle -->
#113 Super Sidekicks 2 -->
#114 Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarök -->
#115 SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash -->
#116 The King of Fighters 2000 -->
#117 The Irritating Maze -->
#118 Buriki One -->
#119 Power Spikes 2 -->
#120 S.A.R. - Search and Rescue -->
#121 3 Count Bout -->
#122 Riding Hero -->
#123 Dark Arms: Beast Buster -->
#124 Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 -->
#125 The King of Fighters: Kyo -->
#126 World Heroes 2 Jet -->
#127 Bang Bang Busters -->
#128 Top Player's Golf -->
#129 Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite -->
#130 Metal Slug: 2nd Mission -->
#131 Double Dragon -->
#132 Fight Fever -->
#133 Super Sidekicks 3 / NeoGeo Cup '98 -->
#134 Baseball Stars 2 -->
#135 Football Frenzy -->
#136 Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3 -->
#137 Samurai Shodown V -->
#138 The King of Fighters R1/R2 -->
#139 Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer -->
#140 Samurai Shodown RPG -->
#141 Fast Striker -->
#142 The King of Fighters 2001 -->
#143 Stakes Winner -->
#144 Guerrilla War -->
#145 Battle Flip Shot / Bang Bead -->
#146 Ragnagard -->
#147 Dive Alert -->
#148 Gururin -->
#149 Kizuna Encounter -->
#150 Garou: Mark of the Wolves -->
#151 Soccer Brawl -->
#152 Gang Wars -->
#153 Metal Slug Advance -->
#154 Samurai Shodown 64 / Warriors Rage -->
#155 Mechanized Attack -->
#156 Quiz King of Fighters -->
#157 The King of Fighters 2002 -->
#158 Ikari Warriors -->
#159 Sasuke vs. Commander -->
#160 Ozma Wars -->
#161 2020 Super Baseball -->
#162 Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams -->
#163 Treasure of the Caribbean -->
#164 Street Smart -->
#165 Puzzled -->
#166 P.O.W. - Prisoners of War -->
#167 Pleasure Goal / Futsal -->
#168 Athena: Awakening from Ordinary Life -->
#169 Faselei! -->
#170 Chopper I -->
#171 Stakes Winner 2 -->
#172 The King of Fighters EX: Neo Blood / Howling Blood -->
#173 Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition -->
#174 Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road -->
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

reelmojo
With all of the changes made in this entry I don't know if too many people were confident SNKP could really deliver, but DAMN did they ever deliver! The tag system is incredible, and this game was the introduction of many fan favorites (Ash, Duo Lon, Shen Woo, and to a much lesser extent Malin). This game also finally saw the introduction of a few Garou characters (Tizoc and Gato) who are all sadly missing from KOF XII and XIII. The music, presentation, character designs, story... everything really came together for this one. My jaw dropped the first time I fought Adelheid while Rose sat in the background casually playing the piano. So freaking cool.

As far as the NeoGeo KOF entries, this one is my favorite (though I wouldn't be surprised if I've said the same thing about a few other entries in the past since it's truly very hard to pick a single favorite). I sadly don't play this one much anymore though due to KOFXI being such an improvement. That is not a knock on 2003 at all, but XI did everything 2003 did but better and also added the badass known as Oswald. The inclusion of Gai Tendo, Silber, Jyazu, and Sho Hayate was also incredible, and Shion is one of my favorite SNK character designs ever. Plus, if you're playing the PS2 version you get Hotaru Futaba who just happens to be my favorite character in Garou.

Short version: KOF2003 is amazing, but KOFXI is even more amazing.

DarakuTenshi
This is yet another KOF game that I've never felt compelled to play. Now that I've read what reelmojo had to say about it I know I'm going to have to try it out. As for what you said about picking favorites 94 and 2000 are my favorites.

Chiba3010
I really do like this one. In some respects it's a return to form, infused with that special SNK "something" that I felt was missing in the previous two installments (though 2002 wasn't too shabby). I actually like the tag-system, it's probably the most distinctive feature in this final franchaise release on AES hardware. Excellent visuals, animation and backdrops ranging from good to fantastic. Sound effects and voices deliver as usual, though the tunes here aren't quite as memorable as in other installments. It doesn't quite dethrone '95, '98 and '99 in my eyes, but is still a great KOF entry and a worth final bow on this hardware platfom. Thumbs Up
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
This game is alright, the biggest thing I have against it is the new "hero" of the story arc, Ash. Such a shitty and out-of-place hero , in my eyes.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 19. November 2013 11:59
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Chiba3010
Agreed, 2D. Ash just doesn't look the part. He's not stylish, not intimidating, looks weak and gender-ambiguous to a fault. Don't much care for his storyline, either. The game's roster is quite decent overall- shame he was chosen as the title's poster-boy. Roll Eyes
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

reelmojo
I actually think characters like Ash help set KOF apart from other mainstream fighters. I think the only androgynous character in Street Fighter is Twelve, and that barely counts. Everyone else is either super manly men, half naked women, or comic relief (I'm sure there are exceptions). Apparently the androgyny thing worked for them as they added Shion in KOFXI.

Also, at this point Ash's awesomeness cannot be questioned. He's an opportunist who defeated Chizuru and Iori and stole their powers. If that doesn't flat out make him a villain, he's at least an anti-hero. And rather than gaining all three sacred treasures he actually voluntarily gave Chizuru and Iori their powers back, which pretty much makes them his bitches. If Iori tries to take revenge (and it's Iori we're talking about) Ash doesn't even care that he just made him more powerful. He'll gladly fight and destroy him if need be, and he'll do it while looking like a girl... as if to humiliate him further.

Bad. Ass.

Keita-Kata
Another KOF game I like. I couldn't care about the story oF KOF 2003. I loved the gameplay of this is game. I like the new multi-shift tagging system. This one is a good game, but not as good as KOFXIII, KOFXI, KOF 2002, etc....
i39.tinypic.com/16as66f.jpg

PSN: KeitaKata and BlackWings83

LIFE_IN_2D
The thing that bothered me most about Ash is the lack of originality displayed in his move set and powers. ANOTHER boring flame user? Yeah KOF needs that... he also rips off 95% of his moves from Guile and the other 5% from Kain.

Glad his story arc is over.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 22. November 2013 04:38
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Sensi
This is the only KOF game I'm missing. Looking for the AES version, since all the KOF games in mine collection are AES. I must admit I never played it, sorry guys, shame shame.
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

neros
I never really got into this game, but I'm thinking of buying the MVS version very soon. Looks really good, but my favourite character Mr. Karate isn't in it?

Damn..
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
sanny_torkilsson
Here is my almost new matching kit. Fun game to play with friends.
sanny_torkilsson attached the following image:
kof03.jpg

www.aikhockey.se
NeoGeoNinja
I created a nice lengthy response to this one earlier today, only to be greeted by the wondrous 'Internal Server Error 500' and a loss of my entire post upon 'back' button Angry

Basically, 2003 is (still!) one of my fave KOFs for the NeoGeo. Thing is, since actually owning the console and having the games in one place, as opposed to having all the KOF's spread out among differing console generations/platforms, I feel, offers a different perspective on the series as a whole. The quality - imo - remains fairly consistent and the apparent differences are in fact different.

I think it's easier to like ALL the KOF's much more when you have them all, consistently performing, on the one system of origin. Entries that were once average imo have since come to life since having them on Home cart (re: 96 & 00, for example).

I still feel that overall, 03 still plays the best though, in terms of how fresh it feels and the fact that it plays more modernly. Especially compared to 02, which feels very old fashioned by comparison imo...
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

The eccentric cat
One of my favourite games in the franchise. It may not be the most balanced, but I always have a ton of fun with this one. Tag team isn't normally what I like in fighting games, but there is just something about this game that keeps me coming back to its tag team mechanic, maybe because its faster paced?

I honestly don't mind Ash too much (but he was definitely too powerful for his own good), but it did lead into an interesting storyline.
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Jump to Forum: