Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Murikov
Thread ID: 4376
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6650 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
The King of Fighters 2001. What do you think of it?
Just what were they thinking when bringing out this game?! Just what were they thinking when bringing out this game?! 0%[0 Votes]
Never played it, to be honest. Never played it, to be honest. 13%[1 Vote]
Now this sucks really bad. It looks, sounds and feels horrid! Now this sucks really bad. It looks, sounds and feels horrid! 13%[1 Vote]
Could be better, but it isn't that terrible after all. Could be better, but it isn't that terrible after all. 38%[3 Votes]
It's actually quite good, a solid KoF episode! It's actually quite good, a solid KoF episode! 38%[3 Votes]
Excellent, one of the series' best!! Excellent, one of the series' best!! 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 8
 Print Thread
The King of Fighters 2001 - Game of the Week
Murikov
Welcome to the Game of the Week!

In the gaming industry there are some series that simply won't die, no matter what happens. After 13 installments (not counting all spin-offs or re-releases) the King of Fighters franchise can be considered as such a series. Even though the original SNK went bankrupt in the year 2000, the successing company Playmore didn't desist from producing another King of Fighters game on the trusted Neo Geo hardware. This time Playmore hired a Korean company called Eolith (later renamed to Digital Entertainment Group) to develop the newest King of Fighters title based on the NESTS saga.

The result was quite controversial among KoF fans. Although some players were already happy with it that the series didn't die with KoF 2000 and was actually continued, most reviewers disliked the dull artwork or the graphical and accoustic presentation.

Another quality sequel of a legendary franchise? Or just a bland, lifeless attempt to make some money? I'll let you be the judge.

The King of Fighters 2001

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20FIghters%202001/kof01insert_zps3ad327a2.png

Genre: Fighting
Players: 2
Size: 681 MEGS
Released on: MVS, AES, DC, PS2

Brief Description:

The King of Fighters 2001 is the eighth game in The King of Fighters series. It is the first of two King of Fighters games published by Korean company Eolith after Aruze put SNK into bankruptcy.

King of Fighters 2001 kept the Striker assist system from the previous two KOF games, but added a new twist to it - the ability to adjust how many Strikers a team could have. While teams in 1999 and 2000 were limited to selecting one teammate as an assist, now teams could have up to 3 assist characters, or none at all.

Screenshots:

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20FIghters%202001/kof01screen02_zps92162c76.png
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20FIghters%202001/kof01screen00_zpsdbcb770b.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20FIghters%202001/kof01screen01_zps418e3336.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/King%20of%20FIghters%202001/kof01screen03_zps555b2b91.png

Official Website:

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof2001/kof2001_top.html

Reviews:

The King of Fighters 2001 review by Shito
The King of Fighters 2001 review by Toxic
The King of Fighters 2001 review by One-Fu

Videos:

YouTube Video

High Score Challenge:

High Score Challenges for the KoF series were always quite popular, so why not this time? Please leave a post or a PM if you are interested in conducting one. Priest would arrange one in no time.

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->
#2 Nam 1975 -->
#3 Pulstar -->
#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->
#5 Blues Journey -->
#6 Fatal Fury -->
#7 Shock Troopers -->
#8 Sengoku -->
#9 Ninja Commando -->
#10 Ninja Master's -->
#11 Crystalis -->
#12 Thrash Rally -->
#13 Art of Fighting -->
#14 Waku Waku 7 -->
#15 Andro Dunos -->
#16 The King of Fighters '94 -->
#17 Nightmare in the Dark -->
#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->
#19 Zupapa -->
#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->
#21 The Last Blade -->
#22 Crossed Swords -->
#23 Cyber Lip -->
#24 Samurai Shodown -->
#25 King of the Monsters -->
#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->
#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->
#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->
#29 Neo Bomberman -->
#30 Metal Slug -->
#31 Kabuki Klash -->
#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->
#33 Mutation Nation -->
#34 Blazing Star -->
#35 World Heroes -->
#36 King of Fighters '96 -->
#37 Neo Drift Out -->
#38 Magical Drop 2 -->
#39 Top Hunter -->
#40 Savage Reign -->
#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->
#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->
#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->
#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->
#45 Super Sidekicks -->
#46 Sengoku 2 -->
#47 Metal Slug 3 -->
#48 Burning Fight -->
#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->
#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->
#51 King of Monsters 2 -->
#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->
#53 World Heroes 2 -->
#54 Last Resort -->
#55 Rage of the Dragons -->
#56 League Bowling -->
#57 Metal Slug 4 -->
#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->
#59 Puzzle Bobble -->
#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->
#61 Robo Army -->
#62 Captain Tomaday -->
#63 Metal Slug 5 -->
#64 King of Fighters '97 -->
#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->
#66 The Super Spy -->
#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->
#68 Ghost Pilots -->
#69 Iron Tank -->
#70 Magical Drop 3-->
#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->
#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->
#73 Viewpoint -->
#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->
#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->
#76 Beast Busters -->
#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->
#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->
#79 Ninja Combat -->
#80 Neo Turf Masters -->
#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->
#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->
#83 King of Fighters '98 -->
#84 Wind Jammers -->
#85 Samurai Shodown III -->
#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->
#87 Eight Man -->
#88 Street Hoops -->
#89 Galaxy Fight -->
#90 World Heroes Perfect -->
#91 SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom -->
#92 Prehistoric Isle 2 -->
#93 Metal Slug: 1st Mission -->
#94 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special -->
#95 KOF Sky Stage -->
#96 Sengoku 3 -->
#97 Ghostlop -->
#98 Matrimelee -->
#99 Ironclad -->
#100 NeoGeo Battle Coliseum -->
#101 Super Dodge Ball -->
#102 King of Fighters '99 -->
#103 Overtop -->
#104 Samurai Shodown IV-->
#105 Neo Mr. Do! -->
#106 Last Hope/Last Hope: Pink Bullets -->
#107 Pop 'N Bounce -->
#108 Crossed Swords II -->
#109 SNK Gals Fighters -->
#110 The Last Blade 2 -->
#111 Spinmaster -->
#112 Bermuda Triangle -->
#113 Super Sidekicks 2 -->
#114 Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarök -->
#115 SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash -->
#116 The King of Fighters 2000 -->
#117 The Irritating Maze -->
#118 Buriki One -->
#119 Power Spikes 2 -->
#120 S.A.R. - Search and Rescue -->
#121 3 Count Bout -->
#122 Riding Hero -->
#123 Dark Arms: Beast Buster -->
#124 Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 -->
#125 The King of Fighters: Kyo -->
#126 World Heroes 2 Jet -->
#127 Bang Bang Busters -->
#128 Top Player's Golf -->
#129 Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite -->
#130 Metal Slug: 2nd Mission -->
#131 Double Dragon -->
#132 Fight Fever -->
#133 Super Sidekicks 3 / NeoGeo Cup '98 -->
#134 Baseball Stars 2 -->
#135 Football Frenzy -->
#136 Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3 -->
#137 Samurai Shodown V -->
#138 The King of Fighters R1/R2 -->
#139 Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer -->
#140 Samurai Shodown RPG -->
#141 Fast Striker -->
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

DarakuTenshi
This was the first KOF game that I really did not enjoy... not sure what it was, but maybe I should try it again. I know that I'll own this game some day.

priest
Murikov: Just wanted to say that you´re doing a solid job when it comes to the GOTW, keep it upThumbs Up
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
lee gray
The best bit about this game is the cinematic intro.
I just felt the colours were very bland and graphics a bit blotchy.
Game play was ok though
Was only playing it the other day and just looking at the flat race cars in the back ground made me think i was playing it on the master system.

NeoStrayCat
KOF '01 has its moments, some good, some bad, but everyone would like to love/hate Igniz, the most broken SBS character ever, right next to Rugal...>_>
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Keita-Kata
The artwork of this game were ugly, but I liked the gameplay. Igniz is so broken. He has an infinite, and he's by far has the easiest infinite.

Running Wild
The presentation, artwork and soundtrack of this game is just a train wreck, it can't compare to 98, 99 or 2k.

Gameplay wise, it's a mess. Lot's of ridiculous shit you can do having multiple strikers on screen at once.

Easily the worst KOF game.
img842.imageshack.us/img842/6448/wildsig.png

http://www.twitch.tv/runningwildvidya
Chiba3010
I didn't find 2001 as flawed as many others have. Still, it does come up short in a few areas. I'll admit that the portrait art is stylistically handicapped. While a fair number of stages are, IMO, decent, several backgrounds are visually dead on arrival: grainy, drab, flat, and uninspired (just like the mixed bag featured in KOF 2000). And it'd be irresponsible to review this game without mentioning its lifeless soundtrack which is arguably the worst of the series.

On the positive side, 2001's gameplay is rock solid and easily the game's greatest strength. Eolith succeeded in getting just enough right in their first KOF entry to prove it worthy of the bearing the franchise's name and pedigree.
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

DarakuTenshi
Well, my Neo-Geo is packed away ready for my move... only I just bought a control pad off of eBay and I finally get to see what they are like and I also purchased KOF 2001 so I'll be able to give it a full 100% go to see how I really like it.

Anyway, I can't wait.

Murikov
DarakuTenshi wrote:
....also purchased KOF 2001 so I'll be able to give it a full 100% go to see how I really like it.

Anyway, I can't wait.

Now that was fast, not bad! Thumbs Up Back then I bought it for about $90, I think that was quite a good price for it. Still don't regret that acquisition.

As for KoF 2k1: I don't hate it that much as others do, in fact I really appreciate it when I get my hands on it once for a while. The graphics and soundtrack may have their downsides, yes, but some themes and background stages aren't that bad as well. Still like the Venice stage or the Psychic Guys theme. The Striker system is kinda refined as well, despite the possiblites of making insane infinites. If I'd choose between 2k and this one, I'd still go for 2k1.

priest wrote:
Murikov: Just wanted to say that you´re doing a solid job when it comes to the GOTW, keep it upThumbs Up

Thanks dude, we appreciate your job on the HSC as well (although there isn't such a high demand at the moment)!

NeoStrayCat wrote:

KOF '01 has its moments, some good, some bad, but everyone would like to love/hate Igniz, the most broken SBS character ever, right next to Rugal...>_>

^ This! That bastard almost drove me insane back then. You can't find a cheaper bastard than him. He's so cheap that you're almost are forced to use dirty tricks against him.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

DarakuTenshi
When I remembered that 2001 was the one that had K9999 I had to jump on it. I've only played 2001 a couple times and I remember loving that character because of Akira. So yeah I found several of them but didn't want to take time on a bidding war so I bought it with a "Buy It Now" option for $115. I didn't think that was too bad of a price because it was in really good condition.

The thing is... after buying all these KOF games I still have not picked up my favorite. 2000! I think that may be the next one on my list.

DarakuTenshi
Meh! I lied...
KOF 2K was not next on my list. I have been watching an eBay auction for KOF97 and I just bought it today for a pretty good price, that I couldn't pass up.

Chiba3010
Regarding 2K, I'm still divided over which KOF is my least favorite: 2K or 2K1. Bear in mind that "least favorite" within a series as legendary as KOF is still gonna be better than 90% of what its respective genre has to offer! Wink
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

DarakuTenshi
Well, that's good to hear. Maybe 2001 will become a favorite rather than a least favorite.

Lavabeast
I guess for me 2k1 was bitter sweet. I was relieved that the series was not "dead " I've not really played enough to say if its good or bad overall but I know 2k2 is much better in my opinion.
i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg332/Lavabeast_Media/Lavabeast-KIM-sig.gif

NeoGeoNinja
Late to the party on this one, but I do have a soft-spot for 2001.

I don't know what it is, but aside the broken nature of the ratio systems etc, I liked the darker theming if this title if I'm honest - right down to the grimy soundtrack, which, when I first heard it - I didn't like, but I do now. It also contains the real Zero, who I happen to think is very cool vs his 2000 counterpart.

I voted "Solid Entry" as I think it is. Not perfect, but enjoyable nonetheless and VERY playable too imo...
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Jump to Forum: