Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 1868
Thread Info
There are 22 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 10020 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Mutation Nation Discussion
The eccentric cat
NOTE: This was a previous Game of the week discussion thread!
-----------
Game of the Week is being updated on time!? *gasp* Actually, I'll be updating for Kaz now. And unlike Kaz, I'll be able to update more often. ;3 So, what's this week's GOTW? Mutation Nation!

To be honest, though, I've never actually played this game before. ^^; So let's hear what you guys have to say...

Mutation Nation

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/563060_57667_front_t2.jpg

Genre: Side Scrolling Beat 'em up
Meg Count: 54 Megs
Players: 1 or 2 players
Released on: Home/MVS/CD

Bried Description:

Mutation Nation was released in 1991 (1992 in the US and EU) by SNK. One or two players fight their way through the five levels of various mutated and mechanic enemies, each level containing one or more sub-bosses before an actual boss appears at the end of each stage. The game plays close to the usual beat 'em up mold allowing the player to utilize various combos, jumping attacks, throws and special moves to utilize on the opposition. Rather than the standard fare of allowing players to pick up objects to use as weapons against the enemy however, Mutation Nation instead uses a system where the player can pick up one of four elemental spheres that allows the player the ability to unleash screen filling super attacks. There are also neutral spheres that will give life back to the player and increase the number of super attacks that they can use.

Screenshots:
www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_79/mutnattitle.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_79/mutnathowtoplay.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_79/mutnatshot1.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_79/mutnatshot2.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_79/mutnatshot3.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_79/mutnatshot4.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_79/mutnatshot5.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_79/mutnatshot6.jpg

Review:

Mutaion Nation review by Kazuya_UK

http://www.neogeo...page_id=82

Mutation Nation Review Quotes

Kazaya_UK wrote:
I hate to be so nasty towards a game, especially when it is quite old and also when there isn't anything drastically wrong with it, but I can't see this holding anyone's attention for any longer than it held mine. I think it's the type of game I would have enjoyed around the time it was released, but not now.

Videos:

Mutation Nation 2 Players Playthrough:

YouTube Video

Other Media:

None as of yet... sorry guys! ><

Highscore Challenge:

NGFL HSC: http://www.neogeo...post_27980

Past GOWT Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 09. August 2009 13:10
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Neo_Dan
Never played this before either but looks interesting. Will have to check it out sometime

Kazuya_UK
I really haven't played this game for years now... I will give it another chance but as with most of the other Neo Geo beat em ups, I'm not expecting to like it anymore I must admit. Unless Shiny or anyone else can convince me it really is a good game worth playing?

Thanks so much for doing the GotW cat, it's much appreciated! Grin

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 03. August 2009 23:33
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Atomduck
Have played this on an Emulator. In competition with other Neo-Geo brawlers this one holds up quite nicely as it takes on a unique theme: Mutation. Always thought it was funny how the Main Character looked just like Kyo (Boxart wise) and some black kid from the 90s as his sidekick.

priest
Welcome to this week NGFL Highscore challenge:

http://www.neogeo...post_27980

Cat I edited the main post with a link to the challenge.
Edited by priest on 04. August 2009 19:37
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
merlin
I think it's a pretty good game. Although I prefer Sengoku 2 and 3 this is still really enjoyable to play. The graphics are nice and I like the look of the strange mutants you have to fight. Definitely an underrated game.

Thanks for posting this thread Cat! I always enjoy the GOTW feature. Could I just make a suggestion please. Is it possible we could have a poll in each GOTW thread like we used to have?
Edited by merlin on 04. August 2009 13:25

THX-1138
Sengoku 2 is the best of SNK's attempts at a scrolling beat em up, Mutation Nation is pretty lame.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

NeoGeoNinja
THX-1138 wrote:
Sengoku 2 is the best of SNK's attempts at a scrolling beat em up, Mutation Nation is pretty lame.

I HEARD...
Sengoku 3 was pretty good? Is Sengoku 2 better?!

Ninja

Kazuya_UK
I would personally say that Sengoku 3 is much much better, it has its flaws and is too repetitive, but it is still a superior game and the best beat 'em up SNK have ever released. Some would disagree though.

Kaz

STE C
I like Mutation Nation its a lot better than Burning Fight & Sengoku 1 I find, although its not as good as Robo Army its one of the better scrolling fighters on the NG which i suppose apart from Sengoku 2 & 3 are a bit thin on the ground. Capcoms early 90s scrollers were superior to SNKs at the time which i hate to say but SNK out did them later on with the one on one fighters in my book

priest
I prefer Mutation nation to Robo army. M.N is a bit mor varied IMO.

Maybe this belongs in another thread but SNK did produce a great little scrolling beat´em up named P.O.W PRISONERS OF WAR which looks a bit like Double dragon altough the story takes its place in a WWII Vietnamese prisoner camp. And this was produced in the late eighties. I think its a great game and can compete with the likes of Double dragon.

http://www.klov.c...me_id=8951

www.klov.com/images/11/118124214312.png
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
merlin
I also prefer Mutation Nation to Robo Army although that's also a pretty good game.

Sengoku 2 is excellent but for me the third installment is the best side scroller on the Neo Geo. Although I love SNK I do think with this genre they were never really in the same league as Capcom, Konami and IGS.

THX-1138
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
THX-1138 wrote:

I HEARD...
Sengoku 3 was pretty good? Is Sengoku 2 better?!

Ninja

I think Sengoku 2 has a kooky charm, Sengoku 3 takes itself too seriously, but it's good.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

The eccentric cat
merlin wrote:
Thanks for posting this thread Cat! I always enjoy the GOTW feature. Could I just make a suggestion please. Is it possible we could have a poll in each GOTW thread like we used to have?

Oh, right! I've been meaning to post that, but decided against it for consistency (Last GOTWs didn't have polls) . I'll be sure to add it next time, though! Sorry! ^^;

*Trying to hide the fact that I was too lazy to post it x_x...*

@Priest: Thanks! ^^;
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Shiny
merlin wrote:
I also prefer Mutation Nation to Robo Army although that's also a pretty good game.

Sengoku 2 is excellent but for me the third installment is the best side scroller on the Neo Geo. Although I love SNK I do think with this genre they were never really in the same league as Capcom, Konami and IGS.

Yup. Smile

I do love Mutation Nation, like Sengoku 2 it gets better and better the further you progress through it. Too hastily dismissed me thinks.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

merlin
The eccentric cat wrote:
merlin wrote:

Oh, right! I've been meaning to post that, but decided against it for consistency (Last GOTWs didn't have polls) . I'll be sure to add it next time, though! Sorry! ^^;

*Trying to hide the fact that I was too lazy to post it x_x...*

@Priest: Thanks! ^^;

No problem. Thanks Cat. Thumbs Up By the way I think you should give the game a try yourself. It would be interesting to hear what you think of it.

I think Shiny should have a go at the high score challenge. I'm sure you'll be able to beat my score easily.

Neo Beast
This is a game i haven't played before. i think i had it once on winkawaks but never felt the need to play it. Hmmm it kinda reminds me of Capcom's Final Fight. looks good.

Kazuya_UK
You know, I gave it another chance and actually found myself enjoying it a lot more than I remember before. It's not anywhere near up the the standard of even Capcoms less appealing side scrollers in my opinion, and I still think this is one genre in which they destroyed SNK (unlike one on one fighters obviously), but Mutation Nation is actually not half bad, and better than most of the others. Perhaps a re-review of this is in order because I may have to take back the score I gave it before...

Kaz

Shiny
Kazuya_UK wrote:
You know, I gave it another chance and actually found myself enjoying it a lot more than I remember before. It's not anywhere near up the the standard of even Capcoms less appealing side scrollers in my opinion, and I still think this is one genre in which they destroyed SNK (unlike one on one fighters obviously), but Mutation Nation is actually not half bad, and better than most of the others. Perhaps a re-review of this is in order because I may have to take back the score I gave it before...

Kaz

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/fbtup.png Shiny likes this.
Edited by Shiny on 08. August 2009 22:55
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Kazuya_UK
LOL... we need a facebook style button like that on here Wink

Kaz

Jump to Forum: