Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 1204
Thread Info
There are 25 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 21353 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Twinkle Star Sprites - Game of the Week
Kazuya_UK
NOTE: This was a previous Game of the week thread!

Twinkle Star Sprites:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/twinklestar_sprites/twinkle_star_sprites_flyer_small.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: Shoot 'em up
Meg Count: 146 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: Home/MVS/Neo Geo

Also available on Sega Saturn/Dreamcast and an updated version on the PS2 called "La Petite Princess".

Brief Description:

Twinkle Star Sprites is a split-screen vertically scrolling shoot 'em up where you compete against either the CPU or a human opponent, in a similar fashion to many puzzle games. While the core gameplay like most shoot 'em ups, taking out enemies will send more attacks over to your opponents side of the screen.

This is definitely another one of those titles that gets overlooked by many, but deserves much more recognition as it's an excellent game. It's great fun, even more so if you have human competition. The cutesy tone may put some people off, but if you can get past that it's definitely worth trying!

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_141/twinkletitle.jpg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_141/twinkleintro.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_141/twinkle1.jpg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_141/twinkle2.jpg

NGFL Twinkle Star Sprites Highscore Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...post_28791

Review:

Review by Kazuya_UK:

http://www.neogeo...age_id=144

Videos:

Full arcade run:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omczIBZiE0M[/youtube]

Other media:

Music from TSS is available in the Jukebox:

Link -->
Edited by priest on 23. August 2009 18:15

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Atomduck
I really want to play this game. It has very bright and colorful graphics! The gameplay also looks interesting too!! But sadly, I will have to play via Emulation *downloads rom* :redface:
I wanna ride the King of Fighters Roller Coaster. :(

cthulhu
I'm really lucky to have bought the AES version of this game pretty cheap, because the AES cartridge of Twinkle Star Sprites tends to be extremely expensive and also quite difficult to find.
This is really of of my favorite shmups, it's unique in it's gameplay, addictive and a perfect party game. The graphics are pretty nice but maybe a bit too cutesy as is the music...it's just a very upbeat and funny game, nothing is to be taken seriously. Gameplay is fast and very hectic...if you don't know the gameplay mechanics (which aren't that difficult to understand, but deep enough to be interesting), you'll lose in no time on the more difficult settings. Also there are 3 different modes of play: Story mode in which you can only play Ran, a mode in which you can play any other character and with a cheat the 4 bosses (Dark Ran, Mevious, Memory and Sprites) and the most fun of all...the 2 player mode.
As said before, if you can get past the cutesy stuff, you'll have a great time playing this game alone or with friends.
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Powerwave
ive never played the game hands only watched it, its seems to me like a waku waku style shooter in terms of its crazy fun visuals i know cutsy can be a bit annoyin but its nice when games dont take themselves seriously, i think it sounds like an amazing game the idea of a competative shooter excies me alot i will obtain an mvs cart of this sometime i just have other priorities first like kizuna.

THX-1138
I own the Dreamcast version, it is very cutesy but it's a fantastic game. A great way for ADK to bow out.

LIFE_IN_2D
I've played this game a long time ago and really wasn't that impressed. One thing I do remember is that the Graphics (especially the intro) were dazzling. This week I'll give this game another go and re-post.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 21. July 2008 01:10
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Carmen
Finally ! Pfft Took it long enough... anyway this game is totally ace and been the most fun I've had in a while Thumbs Up Cat and I have had some pretty good matches via 2DF... pretty dramatic and totally seizure inducing! Smile

sotenga
NANJA MONJA.

That is all. Grin
"Well, that's that! The exit's that way!"

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/dire51/moavc_banner.jpg

Will
Chara is the only character I'll pick. Funny I thought the game would never make it here for a long time considering the lack of votes for it before KOF 94' was highly voted for. The only game with is a dual screen vertical scrolling fighter. The storylines are not too impressive. You'll find a map I made of Twinkle Star Sprites on www.vg... well you know the answer to that.

merlin
Twinkle Star Sprites is definitely one of my favourite games on the Neo Geo. Very original gameplay, colourful graphics and a great soundtrack. The music is great especially Tinker and Linker's theme and the theme for the last stage. I bought the soundtrack cd to this game.

The gameplay is very fast paced and addictive. The characters designs are spot on and personally I like the cuteness factor. The boss attacks are pretty cool and always make me laugh. It would be nice to own this on AES but unfortunately it's very expensive and also quite rare so I chose to buy it on Neo CD instead. However the CD soundtrack is slightly better imo and you do get a bonus gallery of TSS artwork.

I'm really interested in the PS2 TSS and am planning to buy it as soon as I get a PS2 in the next few months. It would be interesting to know how the gameplay compares to the original.

roninbuddha
CHARGE SHOT -> MOVE -> CHARGE SHOOT -> MOVE ..etc.. repeat
www.filehive.com/files/080806/sgu.jpg
my artworks/doodles -> http://roninbuddha.blogspot.com

http://roninbuddha.deviantart.com
Carmen
Yea... that'll get you murdered in a 2P match Pfft

Will
You may or may not know, that that game has also been ported to Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast besides PS2, but are there any bonus materials in any one of those versions? And may I point out Kaz, that on the homepage the game of the week says Nightmare in the Dark instead of Twinkle Star Sprites. When this Gotw gets stale, will World Heroes come next? (Bit out of point) We've covered the first games of every fighting legacy except World Heroes, and it is soon its turn. (I don't count Breakers, Voltage Fighter or any of those individual games as Legacies).
Edited by Will on 21. July 2008 22:01

Shiny
Will wrote:
You'll find a map I made of Twinkle Star Sprites on www.vg... well you know the answer to that.

Hahaha, a sense of humour! Awesome! Sorry if you think I was being mean before Will. But you did mention it a lot... Moving on.

I really enjoy TSS, it's a great 2 player game, and I love the overall presentation. Doesn't hold my attention for too long as a single player affair though.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

boogiepop
Hey Carmen, I was there too! Smile
The game never really "clicked" for me until I got a chance to play it online against some human competition. Now I hold it to be one of the best games to be had on the neo.
And yes, repeated charge shots will get you killed fast. At least, that's what I've found.
Born to Die

roninbuddha
Will wrote:
You may or may not know, that that game has also been ported to Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast besides PS2, but are there any bonus materials in any one of those versions?

Saturn has misc extras like anime Videos, galleries, etc and other game modes, although its not "arcade perfect"

DC is "arcade perfect" but has no extras whatsoever, you can however tweak the gameplay in detail, like, if you want to use original neogeo processing, or an overclocked mode, or even an underclocked mode wich runs in 30fps, various screen settings, and supports scart/vga
www.filehive.com/files/080806/sgu.jpg
my artworks/doodles -> http://roninbuddha.blogspot.com

http://roninbuddha.deviantart.com
Raiken
Love this game. Anybody's who's read my review of the sequel for PS2 will know I dig that one a lot too. Me and my friends had many a good play session with the original at my local arcade back home before it closed down.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

The eccentric cat
Anyone who's seen me in chat knows this.... I looooove Twinkle Star Sprites!! Grin

I think its one of the best shmups of all-... Heck, its one of the best games of all time! I think the 'cutesy' factor is great too, it really blends in with this type of game. Of course, the game is filled with the usual 'SNK Engrish', but... What SNK game isnt! Pfft Anyway, I dont think people should get put off by the cuteness, you just hafta try this game! If you're a shmup fan, or an SNK fan, whatever.

So, if you've never played this game before... Do it now!! With or without an Emulator! You have to play this game at least once, if you call yourself a NeoGeo fan!!
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

SteveDave
I got to play it for about 10 minutes at a friend of a friend's house. It seemed really fun but needless to say tracking it down is difficult so I haven't had a chance to play it since then.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

Powerwave
i just got this game i shall be able to check it out soon yayayayay

Jump to Forum: