Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 1163
Thread Info
There are 21 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 11406 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
KOF '94 Discussion
Kazuya_UK
NOTE: This was a previous Game of the Week discussion Thread!

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MU8DxL8uwOQ[/youtube]

^ An introduction to this weeks GotW - thanks to Atomduck for putting this together for us! Thumbs Up

The King of Fighters '94:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/king_of_fighters_94/kof_94_flyer_thumb.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: One on One Fighting
Meg Count: 196 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: Home/MVS/CD

A remake entitled KOF '94: Rebout is also available for the Playstation 2, with redrawn graphics. The original is also available for download on the Wii Virtual Console for 900 Points.

Brief Description:

This game should need no introduction! Even if you haven't played this particular game, then you must have at least played one of the sequels... there surely can't be a Neo Geo fan anywhere that hasn't? KOF '94 is truly a landmark title on the Neo Geo, and for fighting genre in general.

My time would be wasted writing much more, because if you are here, then you must surely know all about the game. If you haven't played this game and started with the newer KOF games then you should definitely try it to see how the series started if nothing else, and if you haven't played any games in the series before... this is a good place to start. It might be a bit dated now but KOF '94 is still an unmissable classic!

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_43/kof94title.jpeg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_43/kof94intro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_43/kof94select.jpeg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_43/kof94shot.jpeg

Review:

Review by Kazuya_UK:

http://www.neogeo...page_id=49

Positive review by One-Fu:

http://www.neogeo...age_id=176

More Videos:

Gameplay Video (Mexico Team):

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ibH9SBJeZc[/youtube]

Gameplay Video (Japan Team):

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hFcWE92dLvQ[/youtube]

Other media:

Music from KOF '94 is available in the Jukebox:

Link -->
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 06. July 2008 22:23
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
garu21
man i still love this game LOL
i used to stand in line to play KOF94 :sweat:
[img][/img]

Eggy
kof 94 is great for sure, but the later games are often better. 94 had no mixable teams and it's a bit slow imo. however, it's still fun and the graphics are quite ok. sad it had the cheapest boss ever(I hate rugal!). but it's a classic for sure.
card.mygamercard.net/DE/DerWahreEGGY.png

zockerseele.de.tl
Powerwave
the title that started it all, imo it was 97 where it went from retro crossover to the grandady of snk fighters, i do stil enjoy playing the earlier kof's but immore of a 97 man myself

Atomduck
Hey how do you like the video guys?? Anyways, KOF 94' is great but a little slow. If given the choice to play some of the later ones however, I'd go with the sequels instead though. This was the building blocks for a great series so it's very important!! Grin
I wanna ride the King of Fighters Roller Coaster. :(

Will
The King of Fighters 94' is 85% outstanding while the remaining percentage is truly pathetic, Gentsai in the China team, the shortie Choi, the fatty Chang and the USA team are the trash contained in the game. I never thought that Neo-Geo would recreate the Ikari Warriors and the Pyscho Soldiers. The Ikari Warriors were two shirtless rambo rip offs in the old arcade game called Paul and Vince (Stupid) and I like the recreation of Clark and Ralf very much. They should have done in addition a remake of Ikari Warrior III - The Rescue with Shock Trooper and KOF 94' graphics. Half the endings of the characters are boring because they immediately get back to training after winning. I wish I knew better about that plot Krauser, Geese and Mr. Big were planning, and how can they stick together? Krauser hated his half brother Geese since childhood and Geese sacked Mr. Big in AOF2 along with his supporters Jack, John Crawley, Mickey Rogers and King.

Its fascinating that for once an ending in a fighting game has won money and cash, lucky for my best and most favourite outstanding team, the England team. I know the England is also Kaz's favourite although some people like more than just a team and I do like Athena, Robert, Heidern and Andy. If you want, you can see a few stage maps on www.vgmaps.com , especially England, London, Windsor Great Park.

There are many familiar faces in scenes: Tung Fu Rue, Cheng, Big Bear, Jubei and Hwa Jai in Italy. Hyaku Todoh and Temjin in Mexico. There are few locations I cannot understand why a trio choose. Why do the Ikari Warriors fight in Brazil? They're not on a mission are they? Why is King in England? I'm not saying she shouldn't be in England but is there a particular reason she fights there? Her nationality so far as I know is Anglo-French and most of her life she was raised in Thailand, but I don't think a scene of Thailand would smile in this game. I have reason to think that King owns another restaurant in England and its just as successful as the one in Southtown (Before her own restaurant she worked at Mr. Big's restaurant). I feel like researching and compliling King's lifestory and profile. The King of Fighters 94' was the first successful attempt. I wish Rugal were more Blofeld style (the Spectre villain from James Bond Films) but only a hint of it exists from his assistant Mature. Why would Rugal spend thosands of credits on the fighting tournament, prize money and a huge army seabase and then let it go to waste after losing in battle? My curiosity grows the more I think about it. I only wish there was more to those Games of the week than just talking about them, such as reviewing them and getting profiles. The King of Fighters are indeed the most popular of series, but it would be better if it could take every element from every older SNK titles. The unusual tactics from Art of Fighting 3, the hazards from World Heroes, the destruction of objects from 3 Count Bout and plane sidling and out of bound from Real Bout Fatal Fury.
Edited by Will on 30. June 2008 06:09

DestronPrime
When you compare this and 97 I find that's where the series really blends... and that's a good thing. I mean, 97 is like a real sequel, and feels like perfect 94 bliss. It's kinda hard to explain...
"In this world, is the destiny of man kind controlled by some transcendental entity or law?
Is it like the hand of God hovering above?
At least it is true, that man has no control, even over his own will."

garu21
DestronPrime wrote:
When you compare this and 97 I find that's where the series really blends... and that's a good thing. I mean, 97 is like a real sequel, and feels like perfect 94 bliss. It's kinda hard to explain...

i feel u dude LOL Thumbs Up..btw i like the intro in kof94
[img][/img]

Zakatek
I true classic which started great series. It is slow and simple comparing the newer kof games but still fun. I also like backgrounds, have nice details. Have you noticed you can see Akuma (i guess it was Akuma) and Guile statues in the Rugal's intro? Also read here http://en.wikiped...ters_%2794 There is also Ryu, Vega and Fei Long. I didn't noticed them.

THX-1138
1994. The year SNK surpassed Capcom (imo of course) and never looked back. They took the formula Capcom established (though not completely by themselves as most people like to think) and built on it, as well as adding their own unique style (rather than borrowing from other games). The two games were Samurai Shodown 2 and KOF 94'.

So yeah, KOF 94' kicks arse! Grin

garu21
awsome introduction 10q Atomduck Pfft Thumbs Up

[img][/img]

Raiken
It's a very nostalgic game for me because it was one of the first I played when I began getting into the whole SNK scene. It certainly looks dated nowadays but I still find backgrounds are music to be among some of the series' best.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

phry
It's a very nostalgic game for me because it was one of the first I played when I began getting into the whole SNK scene.

Same here really, it was one of the first games that really brought the Neo to my attention. The local quayside arcade in Poole (which is sadly little more thatn fruit machines now) got in a couple of MVS cabs with this and Samurai Showdown 2 being the standout titles there, and definately drew my attanetion away from teh SF2 and Tekken cabs. Playing KOF94, SS2 and the neighbouring cab Elevator Action Returns became a saturday ritual for the 12-year old me lol.

So what if the game was superceeded by it's sequels. It may not be the best KOF, but the one that remains in my memory the most.

Bullet
Agreed, 94 is the game that made me the gamer I am today. After seeing and playing KOF 94 it had a huge influence on me and what I expected from fighting games. KOF brought it all to the table... graphics, music and game play.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

roninbuddha
broken Goro and Clarke throws - the game
Edited by roninbuddha on 03. July 2008 22:18
www.filehive.com/files/080806/sgu.jpg
my artworks/doodles -> http://roninbuddha.blogspot.com

http://roninbuddha.deviantart.com
Midian
Great game, me and my friend play this a lot on the Wii now!
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Will
My favourite music tracks are "Great girls team - England" and "Rugal & Vice - Aboard the Seabase", I don't know what the real names of the tracks are, or whether they have any names at all. Most Neo-Geo music tracks that I download have no names at all, so I'm forced to give them names for the sake of convience.

Carmen
The names Wink

04 JUNGLE BOUNCER (Brazil Stage)
06 Ne! (English Stage)
07 Ryuuko no Ken (Mexico Stage)
08 SLUM No.5 (America Stage)
09 NAPOLITAN BLUES (Italy Stage)
10 ESAKA (Japan Stage)
11 Yuu (Korea Stage)
12 Psycho Soldier "K.O.F. Version" (China Stage)
14 Getsutou R&D (Boss Stage 1)
16 Ketsutou R&D (Boss Stage 2)

Source:
http://www.gmronl...PCCB-00162

roninbuddha
since i've been messin with KOF98UM

i decided to give 94Rebout a spin again... man... lulz
www.filehive.com/files/080806/sgu.jpg
my artworks/doodles -> http://roninbuddha.blogspot.com

http://roninbuddha.deviantart.com
broken harbours
a classic! when i first heard about it i was thrilled to bits; i liked fatal fury and aof although i always felt as though these games lacked a certain something to make them serious competitors to sf2. anyway, my first kof experience was '95 which totally blew me away; snk had finally got it right. anyway it wasn't until a a few years ago (2004 i think) that i finally got to play this, and i have to say, having loved '95 my fist impression was how alike these games were. obviously '95 was a refinement but '94 is still perfectly playable in the same way the first sonic game is. yes, the team dynamic was ground breaking, as it forced players to learn to play with characters they wouldn't normally choose and experiment with different styles of play which i think is perhaps the most important contribution of the kof series to fighting games. however, it did have its faults, the character animation was pretty choppy at times, rugal was an absolute bastard to fight, the dms and sdms were ridiculously hard to pull off (i even remember the neogeo cd pads being touted on bad influence as being specifically designed for this purpose - will post a link if i can find it). but all in all, it was the start of something great, the intros to each background really set the scene and the little details snk managed to cram in to the visuals is one one of my favourite things about the series that i feel is desperately missing from the more recent entries (2000 - onwards).

but overall, while it has its shortcomings it still remains a land mark that was only ever really surpassed by its own sequels.

Grin

Jump to Forum: