Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 1127
Thread Info
There are 30 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 10833 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Waku Waku 7 - Game of the Week
Kazuya_UK
NOTE: This was a previous game of the week thread!

Waku Waku 7:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/waku_waku_7/waku_waku_flyer_small.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: One on One Fighter
Meg Count: 259 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: Home/MVS

Also available on the Sega Saturn and forthcoming Sunsoft Collection for the PS2!

Brief Description:

When i first heard the name, knowing nothing about the game at all, I thought "what the hell happened to Waku Waku 1-6?". However the "7" refers to the 7 legendary Waku Waku balls that each of the main characters in the game have in their posession. Whoever collects all 7 (by defeating the other characters) will have any wish they desire granted.

It may have a tiny roster of characters (including the boss and sub-boss there are only 9), but Waku Waku 7 more than makes up for that with the sheer brilliance of the ones present. They are all absolutely crazy in their own way and this makes for some quite funny cut scenes, especially when you throw a little bit of Engrish into the mix! And if you can find another game that features a walking talking punch-bag with a Ryu complex as a bonus character.... well, I want to play it!

If you haven't tried this particular game of the week before then you really owe it to yourself to do exactly that asap! It's not the most balanced fighter, but if you have no fun with it at all then you probably either loathe anime style stuff, or you don't have much of a sense of humour!

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_145/wakutitle.jpg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_145/wakuintro.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_145/wakuselect.jpg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_145/wakushot.jpg

Review:

http://www.neogeo...age_id=147

High Score Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2509

Video:

Intro & Gameplay Video:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWZuArdNBiI[/youtube]

Intro & Super Move Exhibition (could be considered spoilers)

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=STNIqql0wf0[/youtube]

Other media:

Music from the Sega Saturn version of Waku Waku 7 is available in the Jukebox:

Link -->

So... Waku Waku 7: amazing anime beat 'em up, or a little too zany for your tastes? Let us know below!
Edited by priest on 18. April 2010 17:16
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Bullet
Yeah, this game is alot of fun!!! And worth tracking down I might add.
I just got my copy for MVS in the mail a bout a week ago and have been enjoying it a fair bit, so far.
I know giant cats aren't everyones cup of tea, but it fits here and the game has great music, scaling, animation, backgrounds and tons of moves for each character. It also controlls very well, which is great...

What can I say, Its another great fighter for the neo, but you knew that didn't you?
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

DestronPrime
The worst part of this wonderful little game is that it has only 7 characters. The engine is sound and everything, and it's presentation is TOP notch, and I would go as far as to say it's one of my favourites but it definitely could have been better. I just need to try Astral Superstars.

Midian
Not my all time favorite, but it's always fun to play a few matches. Thumbs Up
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Atomduck
I've played this on an emulator... It's fantastic!! The bright colorful graphics and the astouding gameplay are but a few slices of cheese that is the sandwhich that is Waku Waku 7! But, yeah, the game is mindblowing. Too bad I can't afford it on the AES Roll Eyes
I wanna ride the King of Fighters Roller Coaster. :(

Powerwave
one of my personal faves in terms of all gaming, it looks amazing the controls are superb and although people are bitter about there being only seven characters i think that this game shows that you dont need lots of fighters just well balanced and lovable ones

Shiny
w00t!! I ferkin' love WW7! Grin

I remember buying it... Wavey effect symbolising flashback...

Shiny wrote:
Waku Waku 7 arrived today! Grin

She's sitting on my desk at work right now with a strange glow behind it. It was actually delivered, attached to yellow and blue ribbons, by 2 angels. The clouds parted and they drifted slowly towards me, they lay the cart in my hands, spoke something in a language long forgotten by us mortals, and ascended back into the heavens. All the while an eerie choir singing... It was a mighty strange occurance, unfortunately only witnessed by myself.

That was March last year when I finally bought the AES cart. I wonder if I've ever quoted myself before... Hmmm... Anywho, yeah, WW7. Such a great game. I love the characters, the style, the music, the controls are perfect and it's really really funny too. I remember my girlfriend used to hum the theme, and she rolled about laughing the first time she heard CONGWATURATIONS!!. She was less impressed by the price... I still think it was worth every single penny. Grin
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Will
I do not like this game at all. It is obviously a rip off from Dragonball Z! Thumbs Down Master fighting and cuteness don't mix. I'm only content with the two characters Arina and Tesse but why the rabbit ears on Arina and her friends? Is she a humanoid. Dandy J is a pathetic and insulting version of Indiana Jones and he's got the brain of a cheese sandwich. Slash is constantly lovestruck always after monsters and seeking a kiss from women, what a dope. Rai is like pretending to be a cool version of Lan from "Megaman Battle Network". Politank Z is a shambles and that little Italian policeman and his dopey dog twit are mockeries of the Super Mario Bros. Mauru is nothing but a big blob bunny, but his little girl Mugi makes me laugh my head off when she cries. Bonus Kun is too much resemblence of a marshmallow crossed with a stick of chalk. Fernandez is a great big blob of, I don't know what, should put him in the dustbin!

The ending plots of Waku Waku 7 are too obvious. It's always the same, make a wish and get exactly the opposite or parallel what really want and its like a bogus wish. If you don't understand I'll give an example where in the animated classic "Return of Jafar", Abissma makes a wish for King's Treasure Chest from Jafar and instead gets locked up in the chest instead of recieving the chest. These endings are stupid! Except for Tesse who wasted her wish for Dr. Lombronzo to get better instead of wishing to become human as she always wanted.

This kind of cuteness does not fit for me. Waku Waku 7 for this week's game review was a big mistake. If you want a better sort of cuteness why not Puzzle Bobble? I rate Waku Waku 7, zero star rating. But if you want to observe the scenes one by one if you must, there are my maps of them on www.vgmaps.com . :eh:

Kazuya_UK
Will wrote:
I do not like this game at all. It is obviously a rip off from Dragonball Z! Thumbs Down Master fighting and cuteness don't mix. I'm only content with the two characters Arina and Tesse but why the rabbit ears on Arina and her friends? Is she a humanoid. Dandy J is a pathetic and insulting version of Indiana Jones and he's got the brain of a cheese sandwich. Slash is constantly lovestruck always after monsters and seeking a kiss from women, what a dope. Rai is like pretending to be a cool version of Lan from "Megaman Battle Network". Politank Z is a shambles and that little Italian policeman and his dopey dog twit are mockeries of the Super Mario Bros. Mauru is nothing but a big blob bunny, but his little girl Mugi makes me laugh my head off when she cries. Bonus Kun is too much resemblence of a marshmallow crossed with a stick of chalk. Fernandez is a great big blob of, I don't know what, should put him in the dustbin!

The ending plots of Waku Waku 7 are too obvious. It's always the same, make a wish and get exactly the opposite or parallel what really want and its like a bogus wish. If you don't understand I'll give an example where in the animated classic "Return of Jafar", Abissma makes a wish for King's Treasure Chest from Jafar and instead gets locked up in the chest instead of recieving the chest. These endings are stupid! Except for Tesse who wasted her wish for Dr. Lombronzo to get better instead of wishing to become human as she always wanted.

This kind of cuteness does not fit for me. Waku Waku 7 for this week's game review was a big mistake. If you want a better sort of cuteness why not Puzzle Bobble? I rate Waku Waku 7, zero star rating. But if you want to observe the scenes one by one if you must, there are my maps of them on www.vgmaps.com . :eh:

Hehe.. well I'm not gonna touch that opinion with a 10 ft pole... lest this thread descends in to a flame fest and we don't need that Wink. To each his own anyways, the threads about opinions so it's all good, although saying it was a "mistake" is a mistake in itself to say the very least. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean we aren't going to have it as a GotW... and besides as you can see you're in a bit of a minority in how you feel about the game Wink

But anyways, back on topic. Been playing the game again and it's made me remember how much I love it, it's been far too long since I last loaded it up! Will post more later when I have some more play time on it Grin

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
ROBOTRON
I love Waku Waku 7...I was an idiot for selling my original cart...however when the PS2 import Sunsoft collection comes out this month, I'm on it. Beware of my Giant Wabbit!
img213.imageshack.us/img213/7476/01hw6.gif
Fight Like A Robot!

http://www.freewebs.com/robotron
Shiny
Will wrote:

Puts polite hat on...

Dragonball rip off? LOL You haven't got a clue what you're talking about have you, lol. I've not read a post here so ill-informed, an opinion so ridiculous, or an attempt at baiting so obvious for quite some time.

Have you actually played it? Maybe you should give it another go. I guess the sense of humour and overall style isn't going to be to everyone's taste but the controls are so tight a fan of fighters should love it.

MetalupyourASS
I've not read a post here so ill-informed, an opinion so ridiculous, or an attempt at baiting so obvious for quite some time.

Iknow this has no relation to the game in question, however in response to shin - knee Mcfuntits

WEll its your lucky day, probably gonna open a can of worms, but.... erhm.... Capcom Vs Snk, No contest, Capcom all the way baby!!! hehe, i have no clue, yes, i have no place here, probably not, but im here to entertain and, well i dont know?? Hey to all, im new, a weenie, a newbie, etc etc, so any burning, get it out of the way, and lets discuss the finer points of gaming.

PEACE

Shiny
Shin-Knee McFuntits indeed. Haha!!

That ain't no can of worms buddy, we love both SNK and Capcom. SNK slightly more though obviously. Wink I'll show you the game in question later, you'll love it.

MetalupyourASS
yeah boi, sounds like a plan, im goin for my third coffee of the day, lagging in your estimations i know, you should be on your 31st cup o' joe? or is it number 6, numbers are irrelevant between dudes!

then after a quick gaming session, i can actually post something which actually relates to this thread
ET Knows best!!

Raiken
Definitely one of my favorites and I'm really happy they're porting it to PS2. Now if they'd just do that for Rage of The Dragons...
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

cthulhu
This is my favorite game of all time besides Vampire Savior 2. Waku Waku 7 is one of the funnest fighting games I have ever played. Graphics and music are all excellent. Character designs and their move sets are brilliant. Almost everything in this game is/ seems a parody on something else (Ryu, Dragonball Z etc.), the whole game thus to me is one big inside joke and shouldn't be taken seriously in any way or another. The biggest flaw (if you can even call it a flaw) is the small character roster, but does that really matter if the rest of the game is this much fun to play??? It was one of the first AES games I ever bought and still one of the most played AES game in my collection. If there are still any people out there that haven't played this game, PLAY IT NOW or I'll haunt you forever (you wouldn't want me to do that...believe me!!!)...you have been warned.
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Powerwave
dragon ball Z rip off hey.... i think the game is suposed to be satirical

Will
Of course I played the game before and tried it boogiepop, or how else could I have mapped it and told you about the ending of Tesse. You have to pay attention when I discuss about my taste for games. Don't you know? I'm not the first to say Waku Waku 7 is a Dragonball Z rip off, 7 balls to make a wish, doesn't ring a bell? Some GameFAQs and Game reviews seem to think so. Whatever the reason Boogiepop, I am not changing my mind or retrying out the game. You might wonder why I bothered to map it. It is because Vgmaps was lacking in Neo-Geo maps and I had map something to increase variety. Anyway I'll just wait for the next Gotw and pray that it will be something different.

Kurisu
That told you Kaz! Your reply showed commendable restraint I thought. How GOTW can ever be a mistake I'll never know. I must say I tried WW7 on the Saturn a few years ago and had mixed views on it. As someone who thinks Andro Dunos is one of the best shooters ever made, I stand up for the right to champion any game of one's choice!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

LIFE_IN_2D
I enjoy this game very much. Fernandeath is one of the most awesome bosses in any fighting game. Marurun is freaking awesome. This game is just a huge mess of sillyness and I love it. There are tons of serious fighting games out there and Waku Waku is nice break from the norm.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Jump to Forum: